Main Menu

AUTO TRANS SHIFT ROD BRACKET

Started by MOPAR MITCH, April 24, 2020, 10:10:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MOPAR MITCH

Hi All.. My car has been apart for a few years and my memory is fading.   New engine (SB) and rebuilt 727 recently (finally!) installed.  I'm puzzled with the shift rod bracket as I have two choices (maybe one is from my old 904?)  see the pics...  the one that I've been using has little rod depth protrusion... is this OK?   An option would be to us the other bracket (yellow marking... but it installs opposite and would need slight grinding to make it fit into the 727.... then I'd get a lot more rod protrusion.    T/Anks ahead.

My car is used for serious competition autocross and hi-speed road course runs... its not an original T/A... (owned it since 1975 and converted it to a T/A for SCCA competition)... but my memory is fading as to this matter... which bracket to use and the depth of the rod.... how should it be?

You can see the difference in the bend of the brackets...

Again, T/Anks ahead

Scooter

SB with 727, this is what mine looks like.

Fastmark

I just gave one of these to a friend and I tried it on my 440 Cuda 727 to be sure. It looked like the more narrow one. I can look at the fit again and take a picture today if i get to the shop today.

Chryco Psycho

The first one would be the correct one , it might be more rigid with the second bracket altered [bent] to align the bushing angle as it is closer to the load area  :alan2cents:

MOPAR MITCH

Scooter and all -- T/Anks for your replies.

I wonder if that vertical rod is adjustable?  Maybe it has slipped a little over the years?  I'd have to remove the console to look at the bracketry.

E74cuda

The bracket in the first picture is for a 71, the second is for a 70. The linkage rod that comes down through the floor is longer in 71 than in 70, thus the different bracket configuration.

MOPAR MITCH

E74...   T/Anks for that info... My car is actually a "72 with the original linkage (the body is a converted 72... to become a 70); and the 727 trans is also from a "72.   Do you, or anyone else, know if the "72 setup is different than other years?

My car was originally a 72 318/904 Rally Challenger (owned since 1975).. converted by me to a '70 T/A back in late 70's.

E74cuda