Main Menu

Axle bearing replacement?

Started by b5cuda, October 27, 2020, 10:26:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Hey everyone, starting to build rear-end unit and trying to assess whether my axle bearings are OK or need replacement.  I have four axles to choose from, have not driven any of them, all appear to have been off the road for some time.  Is there a way to inspect and verify bearings are good to go, or should I just go ahead and replace before I reassemble? 

Dakota

My thought process is that it's not worth the risk to leave them, especially if you have no history. 

If you do change them, there will be a choice in front of you about whether to replace with the stock type or to use "green bearings".  Search this forum (or other classic Mopar forums) and you'll find some strong opinions on this topic. 

anlauto

When I restore a car I always put all new seals and bearings in the rear end simply for peace of mind. I guess it just matters what your budget is.
Be a piss off to have a noisy wheel bearing on a nicely restored car...or worse, have the bearing fail... :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Fastmark

A friend just bought a nice kind of restored car. He paid a lot. It needed shell bearings as they were not replaced. Replace them now and be done with it. Use the oem tapered bearings.

7212Mopar

Another option to save time and labor is to buy replacement axles with bearings, inner seals and wheel studs already installed from Dr. Diff. Choice of taper bearings or green bearings. Also order the seals and gaskets if going with taper bearings.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

b5cuda

I suspected it would probably make sense to replace now, thank you for confirming!  Appreciate the tips. 

Chryco Psycho

Don't waste you time with Green brgs , just install the tapered roller brgs , they will outlast you & are a far better design for side loads / cornering .
Pack them with a high quality grease as they do not have any other source of lubrication being outside of the inner axle seals . :bigthumb:

b5cuda

Chryco Psycho