Main Menu

B-block coolant leak from rear of engine :(

Started by shawge, November 25, 2017, 10:24:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

shawge

Was topping off the coolant in the 451 yesterday and noticed some drips near the back of the engine.  Crawled under and found drips falling from the bellhousing.  If I'm remembering correctly, coolant doesn't circulate through a big block intake so that leaves the block, head, or head gasket as the possible problem areas.  Only recent changes were an intake swap but the heads were never touched.  Engine ran after the swap and was never overheated.

i'm at a loss and a little bummed out.  Has anyone else experienced something similar?
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

1 Wild R/T

Big blocks don't have freeze plugs in the rear so that helps... But they do have freeze plugs in the back of the heads... So that's where you need to look first... Otherwise possible heater core/heater hoses? Or head gaskets which I seriously doubt...  Good luck...

shawge

I can rule out the head freeze plugs and the heater core/hoses - using Stealth heads and the heater core is not hooked up, hoses are currently looped at the water pump.

Going to get a coolant system pressure tester.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

cudabob496

72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: cudabob496 on November 25, 2017, 12:50:02 PM
I use this for header bolt leakage.  Good stuff.
Put a little in at a time until leakage stops.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/pbb/ASLC16/image/3/

Unfortunately Stealth heads rule that out also....

cudabob496

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 25, 2017, 02:42:41 PM
Quote from: cudabob496 on November 25, 2017, 12:50:02 PM
I use this for header bolt leakage.  Good stuff.
Put a little in at a time until leakage stops.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/pbb/ASLC16/image/3/

Unfortunately Stealth heads rule that out also....

it works for other leak sources.  head gaskets, water pump, radiator and rad hoses, etc. there are tiny leaks we do not see,
that over time will cause coolant to dissapear, not that its that big of a deal though.  Just tiny little pieces of aluminum.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.