Main Menu

Best flushing agent for aluminum radiator? And alum rad care

Started by Marc70challenger, February 12, 2018, 06:05:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Marc70challenger

In our drag car we don't run antifreeze (against rules).  We didn't use all distilled water (just Water Wetter) ... we were so crammed for time at the end of build and getting it to DW we ran out of the distilled we had.

Looking at the inside of the radiator (through cap) I can see some crud already developing ... not a lot. But I'd really like less to nothing.  Engine was finished just last September.

I want to flush and clean it. Replace it with distilled or Summit's non-glycol Ice water. We have electric water pump ( no heater core of course) - so actually flushing the system will be easy.... and will add zinc anode as well.

Just need some advice on what flushing agent.  The system has only had water. No antifreeze.

Anyone have any suggestions for flushing/ cleaning out the bit of crud stuck to the inside ?  I am also going to put a zinc anode in as well.

Also - anyone hav any experience with Summit's non-glycol Ice water. Never mind this. Some tracks don't want it.

On.

Thanks  :)

cudabob496

72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Marc70challenger

Quote from: cudabob496 on February 12, 2018, 06:54:43 PM
I'd try the cheapy Prestone flush stuff first

Cool. That's what I was thinking.  The "crud"as I called it isn't bad at all. Probably just or more important to remove wan5s in there and replace with distilled. Thanks.

Marc70challenger

Actually just found some information and good feedback on RMI-25.  For using along with Water Wetter after flushing.  Seems like it will help prevent issues and decent protection.  Will try it in this car then if it seems good use it in the rest.

http://www.rmi25.com

61K T/A

After I removed the heater box I installed a zero additive coolant filter in its place. I tried flushing twice with water and wasn't satisfied. After cutting open the filter I still found junk floating around the cooling system trapped in the filter.