Main Menu

Best intake manifold for small block

Started by xx88man, May 26, 2018, 09:06:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

I'm looking for opinions. My plan is: to build a 408 stroker, manual overdrive trans,  Sniper injection if I can afford it. 70 Cuda that I intend to drive often but don't intend to take to the track very much. Just wandering around my local swap meet yesterday...not much Mopar but maybe I can find a decent intake. What would be a good choice? I saw in another thread @Chryco Psycho bought an intake that was
pre-drilled for the FI.....is that a must? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

autoxcuda

Really need more info on your combo. Like how hot a can and head/head work.

But the Edelbrock Air Gap and Edelbrock RPM are regarded best for street under 550 hp strokers. The air gap is like the RPM but just had an opening under the carb.

The FI you want to run may change things. Is it going to have injectors on a rail on the intake ports? It something like the FItech setup.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

xx88man

Okay I feel stupid now.   :Thud:    The Sniper system looks like a TBI unit so that takes care of that. I would like to use the new Trickflow heads that are to be released this year.
Keep yer foot in it

Chryco Psycho

For the sake of arguement , Using multi port EFI on any intake you are generally saving $$ to buy an intake predrilled with rails over modifying one , & If I am going to EFI I will go to multi port / dry intake system .
Throttle body EFI is where the factories started out back in the mid 80s & while it is better at metering fuel than a carb you can still have fuel dropping out of the airflow / pooling inside the intake , it is far superior to put the fuel behind the intake valve using a  dry intake .

autoxcuda

Quote from: xx88man on May 26, 2018, 09:53:48 AM
Okay I feel stupid now.   :Thud:    The Sniper system looks like a TBI unit so that takes care of that. I would like to use the new Trickflow heads that are to be released this year.

Air Gap or RPM.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

gzig5

I picked up a used RPM Air Gap PN7576 to replace the LD4B that is currently mounted on my 340.  I should be able to sell the LD4B for what I have in the Air Gap.  All the research I did pointed to the Air Gap as far as best SB dual plane.  The engine builder I plan to use is also very enthusiastic about them.   
If I remember correctly, it has bosses at the head end of the runners but I think they are for nitrous.  I think they would have to be built up to hold a fuel injector.  These guys do the conversions and sell sexy stack systems but they are spendy.  http://force-efi.com/machefi.htm

Chryco Psycho

You can weld or thread in Bungs to accept the injectors , Holley has blank fuel rails you can drill to match the spacing for multi port EFI , you do not have to buy a EFI system , it is easy to buy the parts & put it together but ti is never cheap .
You can buy a tanks fuel system ,
- Bosch injectors $40-50- each depending on flow rate
Computer system , I used SDSEFI for $1400 with all wiring & sensors etc
Accfab T body is around $500 but only 1.7" tall , 1/2 the height of a carb 
you can use a stock dist & single coil or use a crank trigger [far better] & or multi coil pack

autoxcuda

Quote from: gzig5 on May 26, 2018, 11:25:35 AM
I picked up a used RPM Air Gap PN7576 to replace the LD4B that is currently mounted on my 340.  I should be able to sell the LD4B for what I have in the Air Gap.  All the research I did pointed to the Air Gap as far as best SB dual plane.  The engine builder I plan to use is also very enthusiastic about them.   
If I remember correctly, it has bosses at the head end of the runners but I think they are for nitrous.  I think they would have to be built up to hold a fuel injector.  These guys do the conversions and sell sexy stack systems but they are spendy.  http://force-efi.com/machefi.htm

There is not a huge difference between the RPM and Air Gap. Brian at IMM engines has dyno'd lots of hot street 340-360 and strokers. He hasn't seen big differences on his dyno. He a very realistic on his numbers and builds.

gzig5

Quote from: autoxcuda on May 26, 2018, 12:50:46 PM
Quote from: gzig5 on May 26, 2018, 11:25:35 AM

There is not a huge difference between the RPM and Air Gap. Brian at IMM engines has dyno'd lots of hot street 340-360 and strokers. He hasn't seen big differences on his dyno. He a very realistic on his numbers and builds.

Yes, but it has an air gap  :D
I agree, the consensus seems to be that they are pretty darn close, but what I saw was that the air gap had some enthusiastic advocates.  Probably need to do a direct comparison on a dyno to see what little difference there is and I'm sure the specific application and cam could favor one over the other.  Probably a horse-a-piece on a street car. 

I like the theory that a gap can help with keeping the upper part of the intake slightly cooler but from my experience testing products, everything generally comes to a thermal equilibrium in given environment.

Chryco Psycho

I tend to agree at leat if there is air movement or the air cleaner is sealed to outside air , but alum works as a heat sink & heat rises also