Main Menu

Hurst Promatic 2

Started by Pcut83, May 26, 2018, 10:06:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Pcut83

Has anyone used a the Hurst Promatic 2 in their Cuda or Challenger? If so, what do you think? I'm thinking of installing one in replace of my stock auto shift. Planning on getting rid of all the plastic and chrome around the hurst, and using the rubber boot from Hurst to bolt to the floor. Am I messing up going this route?

Chryco Psycho

The Only shifter with the correct shift spacing is the Cheetah .
I am sure it will work fine but I hate cable shifters , the cables are crap & Expensive & Invariably melt as they have to loop forward near the header & starter & point back to the trans .
Bicycle shift cables are far superior as they are metal wrapped & covered with thin vinyl coating , I was looking into making replacement trans shifter cables out of bicycle cables or at least a similar process so they didn't fail every week , the shifter companies make a fortune on the replacement cables  :bricks:

RUNCHARGER

I have to agree: Those aftermarket shifters are a real turnoff for me and they never seem to work correctly. The stock slapstick works great when the bushings are in good shape and it is adjusted properly.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Hurst Problematic right !!
Furd & Gm use equal spacing between the gears so guess how aftermarket shifters are designed !! Mopar has a longer throw into park , so if the car is not rolling away you probably cannot get into 1st gear or if you have 1st better set the park brake .

cudamadd

Just IMO the factory shifters are so much better then the rubbish on the market with the cable type you can buy. I have had a few drag cars over the years . And if the car had a cable shifter in it I would pull it out and it would end up in the bin .   :cheers:

Brads70

I'd agree with everyone else. If you have the stock set up, your going backwards using one of those shifters but that's just my opinion. It's your car do what makes you happy.

Skid Row

Once again, The experience of many, Answers the exact question I have asked myself for years. Thanks folks!

Pcut83

Thanks everyone for all the input. It's much appreciated. I'll keep the stock set up until I've saved enough for the TKO.  :cheers:

RUNCHARGER

Oh yeah! That's good thinking. Or the Passon OD5 speed.
Sheldon

HP2

I had a V Matic in my race car that I was pretty happy with. I had to use a longer arm on the selector and it took a few adjustments to get the throw right, but  after that I hammered it for years. I liked the V Matic because it had reverse lock out and would function  like normal shift or could be put into ratchet mode.

I've never used the factory slap stick. Nearly all the cars I've picked up have been column shift.

RUNCHARGER

I haven't used the Promatic but years ago I wasted hours trying to make an older Hurst and a B+M work correctly on my race car. Best thing I ever did after all that grief was weld a slapstick in out of a 71 Charger, no more problems. Maybe they are better now.
Sheldon