Main Menu

Best oil pan gasket

Started by blown motor, May 19, 2020, 04:47:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I have to replace the oil pan gasket on my 440. What's the best one to use?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Chryco Psycho

I use the Fel Pro blue ones but you need 2 if you are running the windage tray & you should be using a windage tray

edison1970

I  tried the pan / windage tray comb that Summit sells. So far so good. No leaks. It's one piece so it's easy to install. No gaskets to squeeze out . Why didn't someone think about this a long time ago.?

Chryco Psycho

anlauto

Quote from: edison1970 on May 19, 2020, 05:37:23 PM
I  tried the pan / windage tray comb that Summit sells. So far so good. No leaks. It's one piece so it's easy to install. No gaskets to squeeze out . Why didn't someone think about this a long time ago.?

YES...highly recommended  :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gzig5

Quote from: edison1970 on May 19, 2020, 05:37:23 PM

Big block only.   :crying:

blown motor

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 19, 2020, 05:09:58 PM
I use the Fel Pro blue ones but you need 2 if you are running the windage tray & you should be using a windage tray

I expect there is one but I haven't been inside the engine. So you would put one above the tray and one below it? Do I use RTV or anything like that?

anlauto

If you're chasing an oil leak on a big block, it's likely the rear main seal  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Chryco Psycho

Yes 1 gasket above & below the pan , I use right stuff to seal it
The rear seal cap can be a problem also , I have put a small bead of right stuff along the sides of the cap inside the block in the past .

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 20, 2020, 09:34:51 AM
Yes 1 gasket above & below the pan , I use right stuff to seal it
The rear seal cap can be a problem also , I have put a small bead of right stuff along the sides of the cap inside the block in the past .

...he means tray :drinkingbud:

blown motor

Thanks guys. It could be rear main seal but I have my doubts. There's oil on the front of the pan but try as I might I cant spot anything coming from the front end above the pan. I'll get a couple gaskets and then some day the wrenches will come out.  :wrenching:

Chryco Psycho

You should be able to see the windage tray between the gaskets if it is in there now , if not you need a tray as well  :bigthumb:

MOPAR MITCH

EDISON -- Why didn't someone think about this a long time ago.?

I used to work for a major gasket company as an aftermarket engineer... I actually wanted this design/concept to be created and introduced... but... costs and declining sales killed it... long time ago... 80's.

blown motor

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 20, 2020, 09:09:09 PM
You should be able to see the windage tray between the gaskets if it is in there now , if not you need a tray as well  :bigthumb:

Thanks Neil.

Chryco Psycho

Possibly it was designed with the release of the 3rd gen Hemis as they use a 1 piece pan & gasket .
You definatley need a windage tray , 15 free HP keeping the oil off of the crank & keeping the oil from foaming from crank windage