Main Menu

Best order for a833 swap ? Suggestions please

Started by Purepony, October 22, 2020, 11:57:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Purepony

Hi all still getting things ready for this a833 swap

Got the carpet out, got the console removed along with the seats but what's the best order to approach this in ?

I was thinking
1. Install the clutch pedals
2. Cut tunnel
3. Then install the bell housing
4.Install clutch and trans Then onto car without rods
5.Install linkage rods on trans from under the car
6. Instal z bar
7. Install drive shaft
8. Install shifter and boot
9. Celebrate by driving to mopar fling irwindale

Does that sound about right ?

My engines out of the car

Rich G.

Put the Z bar bracket on the frame rail while the engine is out. And install the pilot bearing. Got all the dust boots and shield?

Purepony

Good point I forgot the pilot bearing, I already have it and yes I have everything else

anlauto

You might have issues if you install the bell housing BEFORE you install the clutch....just sayin  :P
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Purepony

Haha good point my bad . Knowing me  I'll  forget to put the clutch and flywheel on then you'll see a thread on why won't my car shift, start or move  ha ha

jamesroney

Quote from: Purepony on October 22, 2020, 11:57:28 AM
Hi all still getting things ready for this a833 swap

Got the carpet out, got the console removed along with the seats but what's the best order to approach this in ?

I was thinking
1. Install the clutch pedals
2. Cut tunnel
3. Then install the bell housing
4.Install clutch and trans Then onto car without rods
5.Install linkage rods on trans from under the car
6. Instal z bar
7. Install drive shaft
8. Install shifter and boot
9. Celebrate by driving to mopar fling irwindale

Does that sound about right ?

My engines out of the car

Step 1.  Put the engine back in the car.  Install the clutch pivot, bell crank, and bell housing pivot.  You need to do this with the bell housing that you are going to use.  Don't need clutch, flywheel, or anything else...but you need to know where the engine sits left to right.  Tack weld the bracket to the sub frame.

Step 2.  Remove the engine.
Step 3.  Finish weld the bracket. 
Step 4. Do the rest of your stuff.

I did this conversion last year on a 70 e-body.  When i got all done, the Z-bar would not fit in the car between the bell and the frame!  So I got to do it over.

The reason for this is because the clutch pivot is welded to the subframe, and you need to put it in the right location LEFT to RIGHT.  The aftermarket bracket is not exactly the same as the factory one...and depending on the Z-bar...you need to make sure you put it in the right place. 
BS23N0E

Purepony

That's a good point I didn't think about that 😐
Thanks for the input

What's the deal with the spring on the pedal ? Do u put that on before you bolt it up or do you do it after

HP2

My Challenger had a slot in the frame rail and a tab on the z-bar bracket. No guessing at all.

Rich G.

Or you can put in a hydraulic setup and forget about the Z bar completely.

Purepony

I'm going to check if it has any indicators
I haven't had a chance to go through it since I'm correcting the steering coupler too

I though about the hydraulic clutch but I want the feel of a manual old school clutch, I have a t56 so I want something with a different feel

B5fourspeed

What is the condition of your engine compartment?I would drop the K frame and clean everything up.After you weld the Z bar bracket you will need to paint that area.If you engine compartment needs paint I would do it then.I know this is opening up a can of worms but since the motor is out take advantage of it.You can attach the bell housing and trans to the motor and put it back in as one.

HP2

Are you planning any tunnel mods to fit the T56 in there or are you lowering the entire engine/trans location?

Chryco Psycho

Install the spring on the clutch pedal Before installing the pedals into the car otherwise it si a battle

Purepony

I'm assuming you mean install it as a whole ?
Like assembled
As seen in this pic

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon