Main Menu

Best Radiator Efficiency

Started by Ramman, February 01, 2023, 04:53:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Ramman

Getting ready to purchase a replacement radiator for a 70 E-body 440 with A/C. This combo can test a cooling systems ability to maintain proper cooling. Already have a good fan clutch and fan shroud. 2 decisions to make. Which is better,
2 rows of 1" tubes?
3 rows of 5/8" tubes?
4 rows of 1/2" tubes?
It makes no difference.

Also what is the best material? Aluminum or Copper/Brass?

Thanks Group!!

moparroy

No expert but seems to me this is a function of surface area and material. Why don't you send the question to a manufacturer support line?
My understanding is copper / brass is the better material - conducts the heat a bit better than aluminum
I would say 4 x 1/2" gives the largest surface area for heat conduction -  a bit more than 2 x 1"

Challenger in NC

RUNCHARGER

Agree: Good question for an expert. I think the 4 row cores are not that efficient and the width of the cores (left to right in the car)is important in getting the flow through them as well.
Sheldon

Brads70

70vert

Check this article, and company out - https://speedcooling.com/our-story/
I know they might be biased towards what they make & sell but seems legit.
I have not bought from them but they are on my short list for this summer.

Strawdawg

I say two 1.0" Aluminum tubes.

Brass/copper is a better material for heat transfer but the tubes must be made oval for strength and that means that part of the surface is not transferring heat to the air stream as well as the higher part of the tube as air flow tends to skip across them.

I think the larger rectangular tubes also allows more turbulence in the water stream and this assists in transferring heat to the inner surfaces of the tube.

The more rows of tubes within a core, the more the rear rows are exposed to heat from the front rows and the less air flow gets to them due to the blockage of the tubes nearest the front.  They also tend to plug up with sedimentation due to the tighter passages as time goes by.  I have seen studies published that claim the rear tubes may only transfer something like 10-15% of the heat as compared to the forward tubes.   I believe, from my own experience, that a three row brass copper unit is about the most efficient units, but, not as good as a well built aluminum unit.
Steve

dodj

I'm no expert on rads, but I'll say aluminium is best for heat transfer. Just a WAG.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill