Main Menu

best water pump and housing 440 engine

Started by cam440, February 05, 2018, 02:02:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cam440

hi guys and girls just wondering the best water pump and housing to use on my 493 stroker im building  , my original housing looks pretty good so do I reuse  that with a good pump , I read a few reports on certain brands and housings not to use but that was ago now I think they were 440 soarce own brand a few guys didn't like them they claimed they ran hot and were a poor design

303 Mopar

I have the high volume pump and housing from Mancini on my 505 stroker - http://www.manciniracing.com/mabhivowapuh.html

I works great, never gets above 180. This is also the same as Milodon but less expensive.  DO NOT buy the chrome neck as they leak. Also, the 440 source one had issues with tight clearance causing engines to overheat, not sure if/when they corrected that.

RUNCHARGER

I'm not too fancy on some things. The stock housing works great although an aluminum one will save 2 lbs of weight. I use reman water pumps from the parts store. However I run Hemis with aluminum heads so they cool better than a wedge with iron heads. I do believe in using a high efficiency core 26 in rad if possible though. Again a cheap, chinese aluminum rad will usually dissipate heat pretty well, just make sure the tubes aren't too narrow.
Sheldon

Brads70

I'm using the Milodon pump and stock iron housing. I had one of the problem 440 source housings and tried 3-4 different pumps and rads chasing the issue till I found the housing was restricted.

71-440

Quote from: 303 Mopar on February 05, 2018, 03:17:32 PM
I have the high volume pump and housing from Mancini on my 505 stroker - http://www.manciniracing.com/mabhivowapuh.html

I works great, never gets above 180. This is also the same as Milodon but less expensive.  DO NOT buy the chrome neck as they leak. Also, the 440 source one had issues with tight clearance causing engines to overheat, not sure if/when they corrected that.

I am running the same one on my 440. No problems. 180* max.
Joe

cam440

Thanks everybody I'll get a Mancini racing set up

RUNCHARGER

Check the passages on the housing on those too, I think they are okay but it's easy to have a look at them when you take it out of the box.
Sheldon

dodj

Quote from: Brads70 on February 05, 2018, 04:26:04 PM
I'm using the Milodon pump and stock iron housing. I had one of the problem 440 source housings and tried 3-4 different pumps and rads chasing the issue till I found the housing was restricted.
I remember reading quite a bit about this issue before I bought a 440 source housing and pump. The results of several people testing various combinations seems to point to parts matching. The pump impeller to housing depth measurement must be close. Some pumps don't work well with some housings. Using a thicker or thinner gasket can make a difference too. I think this is related to a lot of threads where 'my 440 always runs hot', or 'I bought a high volume pump and still runs hot'.
Has a lot to do with matched parts.
I work in an industrial environment where we are constantly checking and setting impeller clearance for maximum pump efficiency. (not by me - I'm an electrician)
While we have limited water pump adjustment options, if you go after market, IMO, use their complete pump/housing package.
My 440 Source pump and housing outperforms my original mopar unit. The temp gauge used to be a bit higher in city traffic, cooler on the hwy. Now it stays steady everywhere.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Quote from: dodj on February 24, 2018, 04:32:52 AM
I remember reading quite a bit about this issue before I bought a 440 source housing and pump. The results of several people testing various combinations seems to point to parts matching. The pump impeller to housing depth measurement must be close. Some pumps don't work well with some housings. Using a thicker or thinner gasket can make a difference too. I think this is related to a lot of threads where 'my 440 always runs hot', or 'I bought a high volume pump and still runs hot'.
I work in an industrial environment where we are constantly checking and setting impeller clearance for maximum pump efficiency. (not by me - I'm an electrician)
While we have limited water pump adjustment options, if you go after market, IMO, use their complete pump/housing package.
My 440 Source pump and housing outperforms my original mopar unit. The temp gauge used to be a bit higher in city traffic, cooler on the hwy. Now it stays steady everywhere.

That makes sense , I have the Mancini pump and housing , just need to install someday.

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on February 24, 2018, 04:32:52 AM

I did start out with the 440 source pump and housing.Mine was the passenger side inlet if that factors into anything. Next pump was the Mopar performance aluminum pump, then stock jobber then the milodon which I'm still currently using. The restriction was pretty obvious, I could barely get my baby finger through, stock housing I can wiggle my thumb in the same area. I did hear it was the older/first gen housing that were the problem, maybe they corrected the issue by now I don't know. This housing was bought 10 years ago.....

RUNCHARGER

I bought a 440source when they first came out and it had small passages, also the WP wouldn't turn in the housing when using one gasket. I had to port the housing ad run two gaskets. I think they have fixed the now though. The real MP one used to have good passages but it seems vendor changes happen all the time in the industry. So you have to check anything you buy these days. Needless to say I've never had a problem with stock iron and the weight savings is pretty small.
Sheldon

dave73