Main Menu

Can I reuse head bolts 340? When to get new?

Started by Cudakiller70, May 25, 2017, 06:09:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

So can I reuse head bolts?  Or do I need new ones each time? What say you?

1 Wild R/T

If your using standard heads & normal compression reuse them no issues....   However there are times to change them....

Most aftermarket heads require a couple bolts in different lengths & reduced diameter bolt heads so they need to be changed...

And if your pushing more than 11-1 compression change them because a Small Block Mopar Like many Ford motors only uses four head bolts per cylinder & with high compression they can be prone to blowing head gaskets.....   If your really pushing it (13-1+) consider O ringing the block....

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Stock 340 Head bolts will be fine to reuse. 

Cudakiller70

RUNCHARGER

The original fasteners work great for a stock rebuild and you know they fit.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

this has been a new development with iron blocks & alum heads & MLS gaskets where the head bolts aretq to yeild/ stretched almost to failure so they have to be replaced each time , the older engines never put that stress on the bolts so they can be reused no problem , but as noted above new alum heads have different requirements for fit & length so usually you need bolts to match the heads

Crash520

My A/T was from memory around 0.021", so I got offset pins, I'm about to set them up and plan on getting the runnout as close to zero as I can based on the trans weight pushing downwards on the pins
Greg
Brisbane
Australia