Main Menu

Can't get low Idle speed

Started by drew43a, October 25, 2019, 12:53:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

drew43a

I have a Edelbrock dual plan performer intake on my newly rebuilt 340 engine and i had a Holley 700 cfm double pumper carb. that i bought used. Altimatly we could not get the idle speed down below 1000 rpm before it would start to stumble and just die.  And i was told that it really was not the most correct carb to run. So i pulled it off and bought a Edelbrock New style AVS2 650. it seemed to run a little better  and wow so much more room around the Distributor and all around the intake.  BUT still cant seem to get a low idle and  i was told it should be about 700 - 800 rpm.  I was reading the other post about the guys intake and tuning issues he had but not ready to be turning and swapping parts yet. Looking for some input as to a cause.  With the holley we had about 10" of vac at idle(950-1100rpm)  never could get lower then that.  Have not checked new carb.  and yes we have searched high and low for Vacuum leaks  and have not found any.

Rich G.

The engine is rebuilt but what cam did you put in? A big cam won't idle low without a lot of modifications. Not much information to go by. Timing?

Chryco Psycho

There is a screw for the secondary from under the Holley often the the Holley linkage can interfere with the mainfold lifting the carb slightly , .
IMO the Holley is a far better carb , the dyno proves 40-50 hp loss using Eddy carbs .

RUNCHARGER

Either carb should work well on a good 340. What are the camshaft specs?
Sheldon

cudabob496

In my big block I have a solid roller, with 254/258 duration at .050 inches. For engine to run smooth at idle,
I have the idle at 1200. A high idle is also good for more cooling and more alternator output, when you are sitting at a stop
light.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Cuda Cody

Cam and vacuum it creates will play a HUGE part to do with how the carb functions on the idle circuit.    :alan2cents:

cudabob496

ya, my vacuum is about 10 inches at idle, and I had to have a canister for my
power brakes to  work. Later, I ditched the power brakes.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.