Main Menu

Carb Feedback - Go with old Carter, or new Edelbrock?

Started by Banana, June 01, 2020, 12:01:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Banana

Need real-life feedback on carbs...

I don't have my original 4737S carb, my 1970 440-4 Challenger came with a replacement Carter AVS 4617SA (supposed to be a 4737S) when I bought the car in the 80's. Car now has a too large Holley. I want to go back to the Carter set-up.

Can't find a 4737S. Not sure why these are so elusive.

Until I find a 4737S, I have 2 choices:

- send out the 4617SA for rebuild (I'm assuming here that the 4617SA will hook up and work like the 4737S)
- buy a new Edelbrock AVS #1912

Keeping in mind for now I want maximum performance and reliability.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

71vert340

There's a 4737S for sale on Ebay right now for $1699.95. It must be made of gold. Me, I'd probably go with the Edelbrock for reliability unless you want to send the Carter for a complete restoration, not just a rebuild,  where you know it will be restored and tested. Cost would be a deciding factor for me.
Terry

kawahonda

I honestly don't think there's any real difference between a square bore carter vs another square bore carter (4737s vs 4617S). Sure, slightly different metering rods/jets, but those are going to need to be dialed in anyways. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

It's all up to personal taste. If you REALLY must require those hard-to-see and hard-to-read numbers on the bottom left of the carb to be 100% perfectly correct, then you're going to buy another carb anyways. I doubt anyone is going to question your carter for correctness....I think if it looks like a carter, it's a carter and it's correct...

I'd be tempted to send yours out for a rebuild and to run it. Be aware that tuning with a Carter is getting harder every year if you wanted to stick with 3-step metering rods. While I had no issue just tuning mine a few months ago (the rods I needed were available on eBay), don't be surprised if there is a specific rod set that you really need that are not available on eBay at that current moment when you look. It's just as easy however to convert Carters to the 2-step Edelbrock system.

Will you get more performance out of an AVS2 carb? Probably...theres been some improvements to the carbs since. My biggest beef with running an Edelbrock carb is that they don't look nor have the finish of Carters. For me, I was willign to give up what...5-10 horse power max maybe on a good day by staying with what looks correct vs a shiny chrome Edelbrock carb. 
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:I would use a Proform 850 or a Quickfuel  Proform is cheper but works just as well
The original Carter is far better than the Eddy repop if you choose only those choices .

JS29

Chryco Psycho

the reason there are so many Carters with different model #s is that each carb was tuned specifically to the CI & Cam design of each different engines , Eddy only has 2-3 models for different CFM not tuned for anything specific .

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: If it was me personally I would rebuild what you have while you look for the correct carb. These new carbs aren't cheap for a temporary fix.
Sheldon

Banana

Thanks for all the feedback.....as usual with engine discussions, there are no absolute answers.......

Flatdad

What Holley were you running? What are the spec's of your 440? Got headers with lots of underhood heat? Running a spacer now or is there room for one? How did you determine it was too big, bad mileage? Lazy off-idle performance? Got enough fuel pump to feed the engine? Pump pushrod still in good shape?

I'm biased, most of my carbs are carter afb's, but I like Holley's waaaay more. A simple & cheap Holley 3310 should be good for a 318 up to a mild built 440.

340challconvert

Tony's Parts has a 4737 for a 440 manual car for sale for $450
Happy Hunting
https://www.tonysparts.com/carburetors

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

gzig5

I'd throw 800cfm AVS2 on it.  If you don't want the Edelbrock, then a 750+ QF Brawler