Main Menu

Carb ID

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, June 08, 2019, 07:50:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Anyone know what king of carb this is? It looks a lot like a Rochester but doesn't quite match up to any photos I find online for Holley, Carter, or Rochester.

My car is a 71 Barracuda with a 318 and I'm reasonably certain this is the carb that originally came on the car.

I'd like to freshen up this carb but I'm reluctant to order an over the counter kit without knowing for sure what it is. There is a model number of 7041180 stamped on the side.

Chryco Psycho

Pictures will help , my crystal ball has dead batteries

70 Challenger Lover

Oh yeah...guess that would help!

70 Challenger Lover

I just found something on google. I must have been searching the wrong number before. It is a Rochester. Just didn't realize they ever used them on Mopars.

Chryco Psycho

Yes they did on a few different applications

70 Challenger Lover

It seems to work really well. It's seeping a little fuel out of gaskets though so I'll give it a quick rebuild.

Chryco Psycho

In the early 80s once Carter went out of business & before EFI in 86 they used the Quadrajet for a while

70 Challenger Lover

My first car was a Buick Centurion 2 door with a 455 and a Q jet. I got really good at tweaking those carbs. No way I want to mess with those things now. Too many pieces. The two barrel Rochester's seem simple enough.

On the back of this 2 barrel Rochester, there is a small screw adjustment in the center about halfway up. Any idea what it's for? The mixture screws are in the front and all choke and linkage adjustments are on the side so no idea what that screw is supposed to be adjusting.

6bblgt

the '71 Parts Catalog lists the  Rochester 7041180 2bbl was used on some 318 A & C-bodies, and the original carburetor for a '71 318 Barracuda is listed as a Carter BBD 2bbl 4958S

your broadcast sheet shows "15" = #3512815 which is the Rochester 2bbl  :drunk:

70 Challenger Lover

Sure doesn't look like it was replaced. The choke, throttle and kick down linkage all line up perfect. Even the date code is right in line with all the other date coded parts. Once I googled the correct model number, all I could find was that the carb was used on Plymouth and Dodge trucks. It did not specify which Plymouth's though.

6bblgt

I edited by post after looking at your broadcast sheet

Chryco Psycho

There is a vacuum valve back there on some carbs , Trying to remember what it does  :thinking:

70 Challenger Lover

I'm glad it's a Rochester. When I was trying to figure it out a few days ago, there were a lot of posts about how the two barrel Carters and Holleys weren't very reliable. If I'm gonna keep the original two barrel setup and single exhaust, I want it all to work nicely and reliably.

@6bblgt since you're so good at decoding that sheet, would you happen to have any info on my rear end ratio? There was no tag when I crawled under there. It appears to be 3:23 but I'd love to verify that nothing was changed by previous owners. It's an 8 3/4 unit with a 741 casting. I expected a lighter duty rear end but certainly happy to have the 8 3/4. The 741 casting also surprised me as I thought they stopped using this one years earlier but the date code is late November 1970 so guess I'm wrong on that too.

6bblgt

101 rear axle = 2.76:1 ratio non-S/G (8-3/4") w/7260 u-joint & 10" brakes

the 741 case is the lightest 8-3/4" center section - the 742 went away ~'69, IMO the 741 belongs there

70 Challenger Lover