Main Menu

Radiator overflow

Started by tparker, December 08, 2023, 02:55:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

How does the radiator overflow tube route? A few pics seem to show it going to the passenger side of the radiator and I image to the ground some where towards the bottom of the radiator. Is that correct? Any pics or diagrams?

A google search showed some overflow bottles. My car didn't have one when I got it. Did all or any 1970 Challengers come with radiator overflow bottles? Any thoughts on adding one?

Skid Row

:thinking: I believe they didn't start "Recovery" tanks till 1974.

ZippyZoo

@tparker
On my '71 318/22" radiator, the overflow outlet tube below the radiator cap points to the driver's side.  The hose runs along the top of the radiator and down the left side.  There are clips on the left side of the radiator to hold the hose.  The end of the hose sticks through a hole in the bottom of the core support.  I routed the hose the same when I went to the 26"radiator.  The left side of both radiators locate in the same location - the right side is the variable.
I can get pictures of the original 22" radiator and the bottom core support hole if you want.

70/6chall

I'm using one of those aftermarket, speedshop purchased aluminum overflow catch can.  It's not stock but I like it.

tparker

Awesome, thanks all. That helps

MoparLeo

To take full advantage of an overflow tank you need to use a recovery rated cap as well.
 This allows the hot coolant that goes into the overflow to return back to the radiator as the coolant cools off.
No leaks on the ground and no topping off the radiator any more.
The factory did not install this feature until 1973-4.
There are used recovery systems available from time to time from the ususal used sources.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

cuda hunter

Quote from: MoparLeo on December 08, 2023, 11:16:57 PMTo take full advantage of an overflow tank you need to use a recovery rated cap as well.

What is the correct rated cap? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

MoparLeo

Rated specifically for recovery systems. It uses a 2 way valve as opposed to a one way valve that only lets water drain out.
https://www.coolcatcorp.com/Radiator%20Caps/Radiatorcaps.html
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...