Main Menu

Changing gear ratio in 8 3/4

Started by erik70rt, December 03, 2021, 06:52:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

I've never rebuilt one myself before.  I have a 742 case sure grip 3.23 and want to swap to 3.55s.  Is there anything I need to change other than the ring and pinion gear? 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

dodj

I would recommend finding someone who has set-up gears before and learning from him/her.
IMO, it's something you need to see.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dakota

Quote from: dodj on December 03, 2021, 07:02:46 AM
I would recommend finding someone who has set-up gears before and learning from him/her.
IMO, it's something you need to see.

I agree.  I did mine after watching a bunch of YouTube videos.  It didn't end well. I ended up buying a new pinion and ring gear plus paying a professional to set them up correctly.

Racer57

No matter how good you feel you are mechanically, you need to learn from someone personally showing you how.

Brads70

I would suggest leaving what you have intact/as is. Unless it's damaged in some way?  Build or buy a new drop in pot just incase you screw it up or don't like the new ratio , then you can always go back on not wait to get it back on the road.