Main Menu

Clutch Fork Grease

Started by Gary AAR, April 21, 2021, 05:34:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Getting ready to bolt the transmission up to the bell housing (70 Cuda, 340 engine, 4 speed).  I was reading information about where to apply grease on the shift fork, throw out bearing, and transmission input shaft.  There is conflicting information out there, so I wanted to get input from the experts here.  I was planning to apply small amounts of grease (high temp) to the shift fork/throw out bearing contact points, and on the throw out bearing face that contacts the pressure plate per the Factory Service Manual instructions. 

A couple of areas that I've seen conflicting information on whether to grease or not are the following areas:
1.  The inside diameter of the throw out bearing that rides on the transmission input shaft bearing carrier.
2.  The splines of the transmission input shaft that the clutch disc rides on.
3.  The brass pilot bushing that is in the end of the crankshaft that the transmission input shaft pilots into (Service Manual says to put 1/2 teaspoon of grease in the bushing).

For items 1, 2, and 3 above, do I grease these areas or not?  I assume if these areas are to get grease, that it would be a very thin film to avoid getting grease flung onto the clutch disc.

Thanks for the help.

jimynick

I think you've answered your own question. I also think you've described the way I'd also do it, but maybe the gurus will yet be heard. Good luck and other than on the release brng, I'd use straight wheel bearing grease, sparingly.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"