Main Menu

Clutch pedal doesn’t fully return

Started by Bpret, August 30, 2018, 06:31:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bpret

Has anyone had an issue with the clutch pedal not returning to the full rest position? When I shift I have to hook my toe under clutch pedal to get it to come completely up. The car shifts fine free play seems good. I tried a stronger spring with no luck. Any thoughts. 70 cuda 340 3spd hays clutch and pressure plate borg beck style

RUNCHARGER

Clutch may not be adjusted correctly and most likely some linkage items are worn out. First place to look is the pin under the dash that the return spring attaches to, it is likely worn half way through.
Sheldon

Bpret

Possibly the adjustment but all the pedal parts are new. The over center spring helps overcome the pressure plate. The return spring is the small one near the adjuster. I adjusted the clutch per the service manual but it seems like the free play is vague. I'll try re adjusting first

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: Yes the pedal should run into resistance about 1 or 2 inches down from the top.
Sheldon

jimynick

2 inches might be too much. I usually set the pedal so that it has about an inch free play and I notice that if the pedal goes out of adjustment so that there is 2", that mine also is slow to come back up. As far as I know, mine is still the original clutch as well.  :dunno:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

Yup: Probably 1 to 1.5 inches. He should definitely feel it.
Sheldon

Topcat

Had it happen to me before many years ago.

This time I used a longer threaded shaft.
The A body one.

Then used a ball tip on the Fork.
Rick Ehrenberg used to sell them.
They were used on Dodge trucks for a while.
He advertised them before as problem solvers. 

It gets rid of the black washers.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Clutch-Linkage-Service-Kit-Complete-Correct-E-Body-340-360-318-Cuda-Chal/323417553005?hash=item4b4d30386d:g:DsUAAOSwJQdW-XeV

So far it's been working well without any problems.

Bpret

I will try adjusting it first take some free play out see what happens.

Rich G.

I agree if there is too much free play the pedal doesn't want to go all the way up sometimes.

Had to do the toe clutch pedal pull up also , adjusted the fork rod and that fixed it , pedal comes all the way up.

Bpret

I adjusted the free play I have about 1/2 inch now pedal comes all the way back now. At an inch or more it's lazy returning. Thanks for the help

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Good deal getting it right, I was kinda surprised the adjustment made that much difference in the pedal returning up but it does.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon