Main Menu

Clutch Pedal Rod

Started by Gary AAR, January 21, 2021, 06:47:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

I was reassembling my brake and clutch pedal assembly for my 1970 AAR Cuda when I noticed the clutch pedal rod (clutch pedal to torque shaft rod) has a slight curvature.  Didn't notice this when I disassembled the car, and prior to disassembly clutch pedal worked fine, and car shifted OK.  Is the clutch rod supposed to have this curvature or bend?  I want to make sure everything is right before I reassemble.  See included photos.
Thanks for the help.

Chryco Psycho

The 3rd picture looks right , I don't recall a curve similar to the first pictures though

Shane Kelley

:iagree:  Just like Chryco said.  The bend in the top pics shouldn't be there.  The offset you see in the lower pic is correct on the right side. Other than that offset the rest should be straight. 

BigmanjbMOPAR

Sorry to jump in here, just curious we bought the Mcleod clutch with the multiple fingers can we get rid of the pedal spring inside? Haven't put the engine or tran back in the car yet but my son and I were thinking about loosing that spring thinking it would be real hard on his leg.
70 Cuda Project Purple Book

Chryco Psycho

With a diaphragm style clutch you do not need the spring , you can stretch it & insert pennies or washers to extend the spring so it is easier to remove if that helps

JonH

Also for the record that spring does NOT increase pedal effort. It does the opposite as it helps you depress the pedal. Hence the term over center spring....

RUNCHARGER

The only diaphraghm clutch I have run was an unfortunate period when I owned a Corvette. However I believe it is actually necessary to remove the over-center spring if you run a diaphraghm clutch in a Mopar.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

The over center spring does 2 things , it keeps the pedal up so you do not wear out the release brg & aids in releasing the clutch by reducing pedal pressure as stated above .
I never run Diaphragm cutches , too many bad experiences with them FYI.

BigmanjbMOPAR

What kimd of issues will we be expecting?

dodj

Quote from: BigmanjbMOPAR on January 24, 2021, 03:08:24 PM
I've run one since about 1995. I've had no issues, but I don't take my car to the drags.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: BigmanjbMOPAR on January 24, 2021, 03:08:24 PM

Normal driving...day to day...you should be fine...it's that one time you power shift it and the pedal stays on the floor while the engine revs through the roof.. :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BigmanjbMOPAR

Thats not cool how woyld I avoid that? Besides not power shifting?

Topcat

That type of Clutch: I would go put a Hydraulic Slave cylinder in.   :alan2cents:

Then springs are not needed at all.

Chryco Psycho

McLeod is one of the top builders of clutches so you should be OK
Having said that I have had a diapragm clutch not make it through 1 weekend , I have power shifted & had the clutch Not return , the diaphragm stayed inverted so it is good to have a rev limiter . you also have to figure out some way to keep the pedal not resting on the throw out brg all of the time without the over center spring to hold the pedal up ., you can out a spring on the release fork to pull it away.