Main Menu

Comprssion Test Results

Started by Cudajason, November 08, 2018, 06:30:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Well got out in the garage tonight and got to use my new tools (Actron Remote Starter Switch and compression tester) and did a compression test on my old 360...

numbers were as follows:

1 - 159
2 - 155
3 - 159
4 - 160
5 - 155
6 - 155
7 - 155
8 - 155

I think that these are pretty good numbers for an engine that was rebuilt 20 years ago and still has a stock bore. 

I don't think I am in a hurry pull the engine apart for a full rebuild, but I do think I will go ahead with my planned cam swap, pull the heads to do the springs (might switch the heads if me and the fellas can put a deal together this month).

Happy day for me!!   :wrenching:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

blown motor

Those numbers are nice and tight Jason. Very similar to my 340 that was rebuilt five years ago.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

RUNCHARGER

I agree: Very consistent. Not even sure I'd pull the heads as all the valves are seating fine. I forget what camshaft you are going to?
Sheldon

Cudajason

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 08, 2018, 07:16:27 PM
I agree: Very consistent. Not even sure I'd pull the heads as all the valves are seating fine. I forget what camshaft you are going to?

@RUNCHARGER   Plan is a Lunati Voodoo 702...calls for new valve springs. 

I am also working a deal on some 308 heads...so may swap those on for fun!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Chryco Psycho

The actual # is not as important as the consistancy as a number of factors can change the actual readings , you engine  is in great shape !! :twothumbsup: 

303 Mopar

Good results, and cool tools too!  What are you going to test the compression on next?   :notsure:

blown motor

@jimynick 's car. You should do it just for fun.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Cudajason

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 09, 2018, 05:32:59 AM
Good results, and cool tools too!  What are you going to test the compression on next?   :notsure:

Hey I like tools!!!  These were both in expensive! This is not the only car I will own so I am sure I will use both again some day!

That and I learned long ago that it is always easier to use the right tool for the job.

Quote from: blown motor on November 09, 2018, 05:47:24 AM
@jimynick 's car. You should do it just for fun.

I am down for that!

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 09, 2018, 07:09:26 AM
Did you find your oil leak?

I think it is my valve cover / breather.  There are no baffles in the valve covers, and the breather is getting soaked with oil.  I think it is running down the fins on the valve cover and dripping down the block...I think.  I am going to clean it up some more and see if that is really it. 

Jason

Cudajason

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 09, 2018, 04:49:50 AM
The actual # is not as important as the consistancy as a number of factors can change the actual readings , you engine  is in great shape !! :twothumbsup:

@Chryco Psycho   Yep understood!!

It is nice to know that the engine is in good shape...now I just want it to run better! its a real dog on the low end.

Honestly, the way it runs I thought I would find an issue on the compression test...which is why I have not done one until now. 

I am hoping the new cam and valve springs will make the difference.  Give the very old school Edelbrock Torker Plus cam that is in there now (and factory valve springs),  I am pretty sure it will!

Jason

Chryco Psycho

With compression like that I would not remove the heads , just slide in the new cam & change the springs

RUNCHARGER

That's sure what I was thinking as well. Make sure you degree the camshaft. It's a bit harder assembled in the car but it is the only way to be sure it is installed correctly. I even degree stock engines.
Sheldon

jimynick

"@jimynick 's car. You should do it just for fun.

I am down for that!"
C'mon lads, don't pick on the old guy, eh? Besides, I've got a compression tester and I'm wondering if maybe the boys did it when we put the engine back in the old girl. I'll have to ask them. Doesn't matter all that much to me anyways, as last night I got the replacement 360 engine and Nick and I tore it apart. The block is going to the machine shop asap so that the stroker engine build might finally get moving again. As for Jas's engine, I go along with the lads who said don't pull it apart, but do the cam and springs with it in the car. Jas, do you have a compressor there? If you do, I think I have a homemade fitting to thread in the plug hole to use compressed air to hold the vales up, if you want it. Let me know and good luck!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"