Main Menu

Converting from column shifter to floor shifter

Started by rdf, April 11, 2019, 08:46:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rdf

I'm converting my column shifter in my 73 'Cuda to a floor shifter and need some advice.  The transmission is a 727 with a cheetah reverse manual valve body and the motor is a 493.  Is it ok to use ANY shifter I'd like or are there certain things I need to make sure the shifter has/doesn't have?  As an example, here's the style I'd like to add to my car:

https://www.autozone.com/shifter-and-shift-accessories/floor-shifter/tci-auto-outlaw-shifter-with-cover-for-powerglide/862575_0_0

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

HP2

Well, it must be a three position shifter to match the three speeds in the trans. A powerglide unit won't work. Otherwise, shifters aren't too smart and don't care if you  go up geasr or down gears  when you are moving the handle. You would want one that would allow you to modify the identifying positions to match your reverse arrangement.

rdf

Quote from: HP2 on April 11, 2019, 03:22:16 PM
Well, it must be a three position shifter to match the three speeds in the trans. A powerglide unit won't work. Otherwise, shifters aren't too smart and don't care if you  go up geasr or down gears  when you are moving the handle. You would want one that would allow you to modify the identifying positions to match your reverse arrangement.

Thanks for the response!  Yeah, I wasn't planning on going with the powerglide one but just used it as a pic reference.  Thanks again for the info!  :bigthumb:
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

Chryco Psycho

Here is the catch , Mopar uses a longer throw between Park & Reverse other trans are all equal distance so most aftermarket generic shifters do not have a fix for this so you can barely get park & 1st , Only Cheetah makes one that works properly with the 727