Main Menu

Coolant - any preferences?

Started by shawge, May 05, 2017, 11:06:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

shawge

I've got a fair bit of aluminum on my engine (heads, water pump, radiator) that I'd like to keep pit free.  I also have little kids and pets that I want to keep safe.

So I ask: green, orange, waterless, ...? What are you using for coolant?

1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Cuda Cody

Curious what others are using too.  I've just done what I've always have done and use the Prestone green.  I like to run the 70 / 30 mix with distilled water.  I haven't had any problems, but I'm just a stock set up.

Strawdawg

I normally run 50-50 since I got old and don't like changing the coolant twice a year.  Until about 15 years ago, I ran 100% water from June 1 to mid September or so.  I always added RMI 25 to prevent corrosion and keep the passages from getting a coating on them which reduces cooling.  This dropped my summer time coolant temps by about 15 degs which really helps on turbo'd cars.

Come fall, I went back to 50-50 along with the RMI-25 which kept precipitates from forming and any other contaminants is suspension.  These days, Purple Ice is pretty much the same as the RMI for the most part.

Bear in mind that I live in Texas and see 100-110 degs in the summer frequently.  Could be worse, I could live in AZ :D
Steve

Chryco Psycho

Evans waterless is awesome but not heap needing 4 gallon
I just use green Prestone & distilled @ 70/30 mix also

RUNCHARGER

Prestone green 50/50. We use red/purple/green whatever in the big trucks. I think if you have aluminum you should run a sacrificing anode, probably more important than coolant type.
Sheldon

Brads70

I just use regular prestone 50/50 and a sacrificial anode. Marine supply has them cheap! 2-3 bucks...

ToxicWolf

I use water and Water Wetter with all aluminium 572.  No better coolant than that.  Of course, I don't have to worry about freezing.  :ohyeah:

vilzrod

evans waterless no water not corrosion

A.Gramz

50/50 mix ELC. Conventional requires to much maintanice and if not looked after cooling efficiency is effected

61K T/A

bc3j

Prestone green 50/50 year round in Ohio with freezing temps. Stock motor no problems.