Main Menu

Damper install problem

Started by GoMangoBoys, May 04, 2021, 02:05:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

My boy is home for a week and we are working on the engine again.  We ran into a snag when installing the damper.  We used a proper install tool, but it really did not go on right.  The crank gouged into the ID of the damper pretty bad.  I noticed before we put it on that the ID of the damper had a little step in it.  The rear end of the ID was a slightly larger diameter than the front end.  It seemed like the rear end was too big as it slipped onto the crank VERY easily.  Then it seemed like the front end was too small.  Fortunately, it looks like there was no damage to the crank.
I am not sure if the damper was not made right or if we did not get it on perfectly square before we started cranking it down.  Like I said, we used a proper install tool, so that should have kept it square.
This is the damper that we were installing.  http://store.440source.com/Internal-_-External-Balance-Black-Damper/productinfo/200-1128/
I am unsure if I should try another one, or get a different one altogether.
Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Many of the aftermarket dampers are rediculously tight , I would measure the ID with a micrometer & maybe have the bore machined or at least polished out so it is not so tight .