Main Menu

Dana 60 order options

Started by 1973Barracuda, July 20, 2018, 05:30:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1973Barracuda

Need a bit of help. Emailed Dr Diff, but got no response. I am trying to order a Dana 60, decided on stock e body width, 35 spline axles,

Questions-

Is there any real reason for a street car, to go with anything other than 1/2 by 2 inch studs?
Trac-lok would be my best street choice for the carrier correct?
3.73 gears(figured I would throw that out there for anyone with experience to throw their .02 in, a few people have but will appreciate any input)

The build-6.1 hemi, a41, dana 3.73, holley hp electronics

Thanks

Jason

Brads70

Cass might be at a show as it's prime show season now.
You might want to give some thought to the B-Body width to fit in maximum tire width down the road?  This requires an offset spring hanger kit that Cass also sells. I'd recommend it.  This allows common off the shelf 10 rims with 5 " backspacing. 
I'd strongly suggest upgrading to the True-trac. Cass suggested it when I ordered mine. It's amazing really keeps the car straight when the tires loose traction. I also followed Cass's recommendations and went with the bigger tapered axle bearings.   3:73 is perfect IMO.  I started with 3:55, engine sort of lugged at 65 MPH causing me to cruise at 85 MPH ( police don't like that much :notsure:) I then changed gears to 4:10. It's ok keeps be at 65-70 MPH (and is an animal off the line,) my engine is at it's " sweet spot" I just got back from a 7 1/2 hour each way trip from Carlisle and still squeaked out 17 MPG's
. I figure I lost 2 mpg's going from 3:55 to 4:10 ,non issue for me.
Get everything you can via Cass, one stop shopping, pinion snubber etc...
I have his small rear disc setup( 10.7" )and am happy with it.
1/2 by 2 inch studs will be fine.

1973Barracuda

Brad,

Thanks for the input. Was hoping to chat with Cass, been waiting a bit for a response. Heard nothing but great stuff.

Going with the disc set up as well.

I looked at 4.10s, but thought the rpm was a bit higher than I thought I wanted cruising.

Crash520

Brad is spot on, and I have similar in my Cuda, 3.73's S-Trac from Strange, 35 spline axles etc, I have 15x10 with 295 rears, Cass's spring relocation kit, no fender lip roll, no rubbing, going to the B body width instantly opened up many wheel options
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

RCman

Add me to the B body Dana 60 vote list. Wheel options are much much better vs the E body width.
I've got a Truetrac and Cass's 35-Spline shafts and 11.7" brake kit. Standard studs.

I installed 3.55s in mine with a 383/727 combo and this winter when she is out of driving season they will be coming out for either 3.73s or 4.10s. With 26.5" tires on the back I'd like a little more gusto off the line. I hardly ever get up to interstate speeds while cruising around so 3.55s wasn't the best choice for me. I'm not worried about mileage but even still I'm getting nowhere near what Brads70 posted about 17mpg. Live and learn, thankfully it is only a few hours of my time in the garage (not a bad thing!) and the cost of gears and bearings.

shawge

I got my S60 through Cass, modeled after Brad's setup.  TrueTrac, oversized (Torino) bearings, 35 spline axles, B-body width, 2" studs, and 3.73 ratio.  My car has a TKO w/ 0.64 5th so that puts the RPMs where my engine wants it around freeway cruising speed w/ 28" rear tires.

A spring relocation kit is needed if you have the perches welded at the B-body location.

Also have Cass's rear disc kit, install pics here https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/doctor-diff-cobra-brake-instructions/7607/msg105690#msg105690
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

1973Barracuda

Looks like I will do the B body rear, rear discs, and I think I will stay with the 3.73.

I would have loved to talk with Cass prior to ordering, but with me being in Afghanistan, doesn't look like that will happen. I probably will order it as soon as I get back to the Staes. Honestly, I have plenty to do while waiting.