Main Menu

Dana ring gear date code

Started by GrandpaKevin, December 16, 2017, 02:29:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

Sorry for the dumb question but would the 3 26 70 be the date code?

Thanks.

Cuda Cody

You are 100% correct.  That is March 26th 1970.   :)

GrandpaKevin

Thanks.

I assume the ratio is 4.11

Would this be correct for a 1970 vehicle?

Cuda Cody

You can count the teeth to know for sure the gear size.

As for dates, around 30 to 90 days in front of the scheduled build date of the vehicle is what I have seen.  But I'm sure there's some that are outside of that.

Cuda Cody

Dana's might be different then most of the 8 3/4's I see so those dates I gave you are more in line with 8 3/4's.  If you want 4.11 gears and they are clean, I would use them!!!   :banana:

6bblgt

gears are sometimes stamped with the ratio, a DANA 60 would be 4.10

those are stamped 41-11 * 41 teeth on the ring gear & 11 teeth on the pinion = 41/11 = 3.73 : 1

6bblgt

are "WE" sure these are DANA 60 (9-3/4" ring gear) not DANA 70 (10-1/2" ring gear)?

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 16, 2017, 03:10:12 PM
are "WE" sure these are DANA 60 (9-3/4" ring gear) not DANA 70 (10-1/2" ring gear)?

LOL

Well it's definitely an original Mopar passenger vehicle housing with axle stampings and snubber mounts.

I bought it 15 plus years ago.

B body dimensions, It's been a long time since I checked but I believe the factory axle stampings indicate it was a 1969 year rear end with 3.54 ratio.
Factory axles, bearings, adjusting collar and large drum brakes.
Not sure if it was an early 1969 rear as it has the factory drain plug on the bottom of the housing.

It has a Powr Lok diff with those gears inside so it's been modified over the years.

6bblgt

didn't see a housing in the original pics - didn't know if you were buying, selling or just trying to ID loose parts  :dunno:

fc7cuda

Not sure if it was an early 1969 rear as it has the factory drain plug on the bottom of the housing.

[/quote]

The axle housing tube # on right side rear will help ID it.   :alan2cents:

1970 gear 3.73 is unusual, possibly bought over the counter and installed?  Some did complain the 4.10 is too much gear if you're on the highway to and from work a lot.

Chryco Psycho

nothing to add really , just odd to find 3.73 ratio in a Mopar dated 70 , not available from Mopar as only 3.54 or 4.10 were factory ratios . could be dealer installed though . Look for the stamping on the tubes 

GrandpaKevin

That 1970 3.73 ring and pinion sure is odd.
Was 3.73 available in 1970 in trucks or vans?
Did Mopar have over the counter 3.73 Dana gears in 1970?

Best pic of the axle stampings I have.

Top stamp looks to be 5  25 8

Bottom looks to be 602957 2

1 Wild R/T

Those gears don't have a Chrysler Pentastar on them, they have DANA stamped in them....  OE/aftermarket gears.... You really should get the code off the axle tube to see what it started as, the drain plug makes it early...

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 17, 2017, 07:33:42 AM
Those gears don't have a Chrysler Pentastar on them, they have DANA stamped in them....  OE/aftermarket gears.... You really should get the code off the axle tube to see what it started as, the drain plug makes it early...

So the 1970 date code stampings on the gears is from Dana not Mopar?
So the gears might be out of any vehicle from 1970 equipped with a Dana 60?

My previous post has a picture of my Dana's axle tube stampings.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on December 17, 2017, 08:10:52 AM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on December 17, 2017, 07:33:42 AM

So the 1970 date code stampings on the gears is from Dana not Mopar?
So the gears might be out of any vehicle from 1970 equipped with a Dana 60?

My previous post has a picture of my Dana's axle tube stampings.

The stampings are done in the manufacturing facility so even if it had a Chrysler Pentastar it would have been done at Dana but instead it just has the Dana logo...