Main Menu

dial timing light

Started by 70Barracuda, May 11, 2017, 05:50:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70Barracuda

Breaking in my engine.  I think I set the dial to 35, run the RPM up around 2800 and turn the dist til the mark hits zero?

Am I right?

Thanks
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

Cuda Cody

Yup, that's how it's done.  Might need to go to 3,000 to get to full advance....Keep an eye on things really close and once the timing is set and keep it around 2,000 to 2,400 to break the cam in for about 20 minutes.  I like to vary the RPM every few minutes from 2,000 to 2,400.  Use one of those thermal temp guns to keep an eye on the heat in the exhaust and heads.

70Barracuda

Where should I be with the temp gun Cody?

Cuda Cody

I will have to see if I have any notes, but I think I'm normally around 450 to 550 max with stock manifolds.  I also keep an eye on the water temp with the gauge.  I can see it over heat before there's any trouble.

I might be able to come give you a hand if you need it.  Just depends on when you are going to start it and what my work schedule is.

Cuda Cody

Also, if you are at all worried, there is a guy that has an Engine Dyno in Gresham that will break it in and tune the carb for $750.  He's even let you help, but be ready for it to take a few hours (not including the time to put the engine on and off the dyno).  I always tune them on the dyno now so I can see exactly what each cylinder temp is and each one is firing.  And I get to make carb changes with the jets to make sure the engine is perfect when I paint it and put it in the car.

HP_Cuda

It may seem like a lot of money to break in a motor but I can tell you it would be worth every penny to have it setup before putting it in the car.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

70Barracuda

The engine is in the car .  I am waiting on one part for my temp gauge.  I was pretty sure on the timing light.  Just thought I'd ask. 

Cody, that's rally nice of you to offer.  Thank you.