Main Menu

Dirty Mass Airflow Sensor

Started by cudabob496, January 14, 2018, 09:51:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudabob496

Some good advice from Steve Williams, who tuned my Trans Am.
A K&N can mess up a MAF.

"and spray the MAF with maf-cleaner/solvent.  Then chuck the K&N and get a Napa parer filter.  Worth 2-3HP over the K&N and won't oil up your MAF and cause it make you be lean!"
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

cudabob496

Found this in my LS1 chatroom:

Here is the difference, lost over 60rwhp because of K&N filter oil on MAF, it looked clean when Jason at Texas Speed took it off but after he cleaned it, showed big difference. Even dirty mine had no sign of missing or bad idle, just kills fuel pressure demanded by computer, then your injectors our opening all the way up trying to keep fuel in there. Anyways leave it stock and screened and just clean with stuff mentioned above.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

RUNCHARGER

I'm not really a fan. Another thing to check is to see if there is any grit in that oil south of the filter, I've seen grit on the filtered side of those filters too often. That is the first thing I chuck when I buy a motorcycle with one.
Sheldon

GoodysGotaCuda

Dirty MAF is nothing new with an oiled air filter. Mine is speed density, so oil away!
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs