Main Menu

Disaster...360 Engine blew a connecting rod

Started by chargerdon, June 09, 2019, 01:09:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

chargerdon

Thanks Chryco...  i ended up calling my machinist and he said no problem...i can get you a set of 7.5 5/16 .08 wall pushrods that will have the oiling (or lighter hole) for $99.99...so i had him order them...   So, until they come in not much i can do.

While engine is out, i took the time to pull out my steering box, and replaced the seal on the pitman arm steering shaft...it had a very slight leak there. 

For piece of mind i checked to make absolutely sure there is clearance between the valves and pistons by putting the old head gasket on and head with some "playdough" over the valves and gave a full revolution..no problem.  Also, just to give myself piece of mind, did the Cam Degree check and it was right on using the 0 setting on the crank sprocket. 

I'm going to pre-fill the oil pump before putting it on...as shown by a melling video..  Wow, the clearance between the back crank throw and pump is close !   Now waiting for the pushrods to come in Monday, and about all i can do now is put on the timing chain cover, and water pump.   If all goes well, i should be firing her before next week end.   

Chryco Psycho

All good , Can't wait to see it running properly again  :twothumbsup:

chargerdon

Progress...two steps forward...one backward...   Yesterday, i tried to install my freshly painted old OEM oil pan.   All went well until the cork gasket mushroomed out at each corner when trying to torque down the bolts.   WHAT A DUMMY I AM...i had put black rtv on both sides of the gasket...cant do that with cork i guess.   Hey, its been a long time since ive done all of this. 

Today removed the pan, and all of the gasket scraping, got a new gasket set and this time only put the black rtv down on the engine side.   Then put the pan on and LIGHTLY tightened the bolts...  to about 30 inch pounds and will let it "cure" overnight.   Tomorrow ill remove the pan and put on black rtv sealant on the pan side and put in the bolts and torque to about 120 inch lbs and let it cure...then finish the torquing to book 200 inch lbs...   

Got in the new pushrods std length 7.5 inch .080 wall with oiling hole and installed the valvetrain...   check preload and i get mostly around .040-.070.   So i guess im good.   

Put on new damper ...

towmorrow more.. 

Chryco Psycho

I really wish one of the gasket companies would make a 1 piece gasket for the 318 /340 & 360 , a much needed part !

73_Cuda_4_Me

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

chargerdon

:takemymoney: i hate being stupid !!!!!   Realized that while when i took out the hydraulic lifters i put them in order in the box they originally came in.   However, being stupid i didn't make the box for the front..   So, it is possible i have them all in different lobes than they originally were.   Now, examining the lifters i couldn't detect any true wear, heck i probably only put about 500-700 miles on them before the engine blew.   

BUT, having nightmares about destroying the cam i chickened out and ordered a new set of lifters...identical model Lunati's.   There goes another $83 sd :takemymoney:  Don't know if it was truly necessary but I guess better safe than sorry.   So until they arrive i cant finish the engine. 

Meanwhile i went ahead and installed the headers, and power steering pump.   Next ill put in the radiator and fan...then when the new lifters come in ill finish it. 

1 Wild R/T

And break in the cam a second time...  New lifters = new break in..

Chryco Psycho

I believe I would just have used the older lifters , less chance they would fail now .

chargerdon

Two things..First

My A904 torqueflite has been leaking since i took out the engine.   Must have damaged the pan gasket supporting the transmission as we took out the engine.   Im fairly certain it is on the pan.   So, i'm probably going to take off the pan and put on a new gasket.   This will give me an opportunity.   3 years ago i overhauled the A904 myself to replace slipping clutches.   Did a pretty good job as it has been working good...except..it upshifts about 1500 rpm early in WOT..i.e around 30-32 mph or around 4,000 RPM.   Yes, i can hold it to higher RPMS by pulling the shifter into 1st and then pushing if forward.    Yes, i'm virtually certain i have the kickdown rods adjusted properly.  So, while i got the pan off i can adjust the two throttle body pressure screws.   Anyone care to suggest whether i should adjust the line pressure screw on the throttle body, or the throttle pressure adjustment?   Also, which direction should i go...clockwise or in further or out?  Lastly, 1/2 turn?  Full turn? or?? 

Second...and this really ticks me off.   I ordered a new set of Lunati hydraulic lifters and intake and exhaust gaskets from Summit.   They came in yesterday in a fairly large box.   The Lunati lifters of course were in a second Lunati box...BUT the box had been opened and then taped back shut with scotch tape which didn't hold and the lifters were scattered throughout the larger box.    :notsure: Then on inspection i realized that HEY WAIT A MINUTE...These are USED...!!!!!!!!!!   The wear marks on the bottom of the lifters was way worse than the ones i am replacing..   WHAT THE F...   From Summit?  Really??    :notsure:

So, i immediately called Summit customer service and a respectful woman listened and said.."so you want a new shipment to exchange these ?? No apology or explanation just if you want them exchanged we will be happy to ship you a replacement set.   I of course said yes...Their supposed to arrive today before 8pm...   I am to return the "USED" ones to Summit using the exchange form on the invoice that came with them...No charge for shipping either way.    That's nice..but..I never expected this from Summit.    Anybody else ever have this problem with them??   And no Summit did not offer any discount or summit bucks or anything for this ridiculous problem.   :notsure: Oh well...

1 Wild R/T

That sucks... But I'm pretty sure Summit didn't use them so chances are some POS bought new lifters & returned his old ones claiming they were the same unused part, which an employee returned to the shelf without inspecting them.... Probably 75% of the employees at Summit just see it as a job, they aren't car people & have no clue how important lifters are to the new camshafts life expectancy....

If someone would do that with an old air filter, as I bought once, they will do it with lifters.
I just recently bought a portable AC , found the sales receipt from when it was bought a month before , had a small broken part that I fixed with tape.
As you say they just put stuff back on the shelves and sell again.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 73440 on July 05, 2019, 04:44:03 PM
If someone would do that with an old air filter, as I bought once, they will do it with lifters.
I just recently bought a portable AC , found the sales receipt from when it was bought a month before , had a small broken part that I fixed with tape.
As you say they just put stuff back on the shelves and sell again.

What sucks is the person who did it got away with it & now when you catch it they look at you funny... Like your the crook..

chargerdon

Anybody on the transmission valve body adjustment? 

1 Wild R/T

If you increase line pressure the shifts will be firmer but at a lower RPM because throttle pressure is pushing against line pressure to shift the spool valve that control the fluid flow (at line pressure) that actually matters..

When you change line pressure it effects shift event timing which is why shift kits add flow restrictions...

First thing I'd try is lengthen the kick down linkage.... Realize the adjustment is just that, an adjustment... The setup procedure gets you to the factory adjustment but minor adjustments from there are acceptable... Often lengthening the linkage 1/4" will move the shift points to a more performance oriented level...

Beyond that the correct way to tailor WOT shift points is to play with governor springs & weights... Check the link...  And realize those kits will get you close but sometimes they need tuning too... Which A&A is usually willing to help with..

http://www.aandatrans.com/Departments/Chrysler-727-Trans/Governor-Kits.aspx