Main Menu

Disaster...360 Engine blew a connecting rod

Started by chargerdon, June 09, 2019, 01:09:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 23, 2019, 05:45:21 PM
I know $$ are tight but I would consider Stainless or Iron rockers with dual valve springs
Smith Bros in Bend Or for new pushrods

I'd be all about a set of 273 ductile iron rockers... New adjusters with lock lots... But then you need proper length pushrods... So just a simple upgrade & your looking at $400... Good Stainless rockers your gonna be out $550 or more....

Till the sting of building the engine goes away I'd probably just swap a new rocker in & keep an eye on it...

chargerdon

After spending a little over $3,500 building this engine...and wanting to put in my A518..  Which will be about $600...  ($200 rebuild kit, $230 for 2300-2600 lockup torque converter, plus about $120 to get the driveshaft cut, plus 2 gal of fluid)  My wife will divorce me if i Spend another $500+ on rocker arms.    Especially since i had spent around $100 on replacing the original rockers and shafts.  Maybe next year. 

That being said, i sure don't want to have more failures...   If those rockers aren't strong enough with the dual lunati springs (73195 seat load 115@1.700" Open load 336@1.150" rate 402 lbs/in) then i have to do something...fairly soon.  Or was it simply a factory defect? 

What do you guys think about this in between alternative https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-p4529474/overview/make/chrysler ??  Description is Mopar Performance "They feature thicker cross-sections in the pushrod socket. "    At $11 each that only comes to $176.   Hopefully since their the same basic design, my current standard length pushrods will not have to be replaced.   

ClarkWGrizwald

Sell some shit you have laying around, pick up a side job or do something else to get the money. Buy the best stuff you can the 1st time. Period.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Chryco Psycho

Why spend 1/2 th money to put a bandaid on it , you have a new rocker that failed , more will likely fail , , I would replace the one that failed & I would look for a set of the 273 rockers at swap meets or online

Chryco Psycho

1 Wild R/T

I fully agree the 273 rockers are the fix... And they can be had for a reasonable cost... But remember your gonna need pushrods...

In the next year or two thats what I'd suggest.. But short therm simply replacing one rocker arm gets you back on the road... If you don't have a spare floating around I'm sure someone local does... Cost shouldn't be more than a cold beer...  Momma doesn't need to mount your balls on the mantle....  Let the cost of the stroker project fade before adding upgrades... JMHO...

chargerdon

Ok...  the decisions continue.. 

Decided to just put in one of the old original rockers to get it running while i decide what the long term solution is.   Hmmm   Its a right that blew, so looked at all of my "rights" and measuring the shaft hole to find the least worn one.   Then... found 1 of the 8 is different, and definitely STRONGER looking...  the cup is wider and deeper and looks stronger.  It has stamped into it 1E227..  hmmm yet it is a fairly plain stamped steel rocker...started wondering if it is the Mopar Performance model.   

Then looking online Autzone sells Melling brand MP-593 Wondering what the Mellings look like, i went to Autozone and bought one...  it looks Closer to the 1E227 than the Sealed Power brand.   I.e this 1E227 looks the strongest to my eye, then the Melling, and lastly the Sealed Power.   Not saying Sealed Power is garbage, but.. one broke and they do not look as strong as the other two.   

Anybody know anything about the Mopar Performance brand, or know where to cross reference that 1E227 number?   Or have used the Melling rockers with dual springs?? 

Chryco Psycho

chargerdon

I know nothing about these "273" rockers. 

1) Are they going to fit on my current shafts?   
2) 1 wild r/t you said ill need new pushrods..  what kind will i need ?   

Chryco Psycho

They are factory production adjustable  iron rockers , very strong & durable , they will fit stock shafts as long as they have not been over torqued squishing them oval , you will need spacers to separate the rockers , they will require a different type of pushrod , ball on the bottom & cup on the top , you will need an accurate length , Smith Bros in Bend Or can make them in one day for you

YellowThumper

The 273  rockers will fit your current shafts. But they will NOT work. The oiling to the rockets are different.
Ask me how I know...
You need matching shafts for oiling.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

Oil Hole position ?
you could add a cut to the shaft to help oiling

chargerdon

wow...based on the "probable" need for new shafts, spacer kits, Springs ?, new pushrods...   I think i'm going to pass.   

A mechanic cousin of mine contacted a "mopar racing professional friend" and he advised ...   "just buy the Mopar Performance rockers"..  He said he went to these instead of the "273" adjustable because it saves him time, at the track in maintenance...i.e no setting valve lash when swapping heads. 

He said that he has seen the Sealed Power rockers fail in the cups also, but, even in racing application never had a mopar performance rocker fail that they are indeed made strong enough for dual springs in the cup area..and of course are much easier on maintenance.   He swears by them...so ...  im going to try to contact Direct Connect and see what they have to say on the mopar performance stamped steel rockers.. 

Also found on Jegs Proform 66872...   Again stamped rockers, but, again description says that they also have extra material in the cup area for higher strength.   They run $118 a set or about $60 less expensive than the mopar performance.   Part number Proform 66872. 

Before buying anything, towmorrow will be calling Lunati tech support and see what they have to say for use with their springs and cam.