Main Menu

Do I need inner axle seals with green type bearings?

Started by GrandpaKevin, May 09, 2018, 12:08:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

Going through the rear drum brakes on the Dana 60 in my Challenger.

I pulled the axles to replace the short factory wheel studs with longer ones as I might decide to take the car to the track with sticky tires once in awhile and I would feel better power shifting the 4 speed.

So my first discovery was some turd sniffer welded the factory sized wheel studs to the back of the axle flanges instead of getting studs with the correct knurl size.  :steamingmad:

So after an hour or so of grinding I got the studs removed and replaced with the longer ones.

I also noticed when I removed the axles they had the green style bearings installed and there were no inner wheel seals.
I know the green bearings have O rings and there were no leaks anywhere but since I have the axles out should I buy and install some inner seals just to be safe or is this a waste of time and $$$.

Will the inner seals interfere with the green bearings fitting in the axle tube ends?

Thanks.

Burdar

Factory seals are not needed but some people run them anyway.  It's just another layer of protection from a leak.  You need to make sure the seal is installed deep enough so it doesn't interfere with the green bearing.  That should be easy enough to measure.

GrandpaKevin

Thanks.

I might just install the seals since I have everything apart.

Anyone got a part number for the seal?

Is this the correct orientation for the seal installation?

Burdar

Yes.  The internal spring goes towards the inside.  Pack the back side of the seals with grease before you install them.  That will keep the spring from accidentally falling out.