Main Menu

Driveshaft/propeller shaft help

Started by Blake@diyhemi.com, August 09, 2018, 03:59:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Blake@diyhemi.com

Hi guys and gals, it's been a while! I was side tracked building my new shop and getting things set up around the house.

Anyway, here is my question. I'm looking for a driveshaft for my 1970 Barracuda
Specs:
5.7 hemi
A833 4 speed
8.75 rear with 741 center (for now)

I believe what I need is the standard 340/4speed shaft, which I'm not sure on length. Any insight on where I can get one off the shelf? New or used.

1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

7212Mopar

Go to Benny driveshaft website. They have a video and form to help you determine the driveshaft you need. There are few members here that done what you are doing. May be they will chime in or you can pm them.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Cuda Cody

Driveshafts are not hard to make and if you take a measurement you can have a brand new one made that will fit perfectly.

JS29

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 09, 2018, 08:03:16 AM
Driveshafts are not hard to make and if you take a measurement you can have a brand new one made that will fit perfectly.
:iagree: Just make sure the rear end is jacked up when you measure! one guy measured with the rear end hanging and beat the tale housing out of it. :alan2cents: 

Blake@diyhemi.com

:bravo: :checkmail:

Sorry, I should have specified.

I have had custom driveshafts made many times. What I'm looking to do is to confirm my theory that the factory 833 mounted to the factory trans cross member will use the same driveshaft as a 340 or small block/4 speed setup.
This is information I will pass along on my swap page. The premise here is that you can do a hemi swap in a weekend and reuse your factory driveshaft if using your factory trans/rear. My car was originally a 7.5 rear axle and I upgraded to 8.75, the typical E body rear end. This my factory shaft is no bueno. I'm looking for a factory shaft, new or used that I can test this theory with.

In my other engine swap articles I show exactly what it takes to make the swap in a weekend and what benefits there are to usin factory parts.
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

Katfish

You have a link to your website, 5.7 swap is in my future

RUNCHARGER

He has a link on the bottom of his post.
Sheldon

303 Mopar

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on August 09, 2018, 02:54:25 PM
:bravo: :checkmail:

Sorry, I should have specified.

I have had custom driveshafts made many times. What I'm looking to do is to confirm my theory that the factory 833 mounted to the factory trans cross member will use the same driveshaft as a 340 or small block/4 speed setup.
This is information I will pass along on my swap page. The premise here is that you can do a hemi swap in a weekend and reuse your factory driveshaft if using your factory trans/rear. My car was originally a 7.5 rear axle and I upgraded to 8.75, the typical E body rear end. This my factory shaft is no bueno. I'm looking for a factory shaft, new or used that I can test this theory with.

In my other engine swap articles I show exactly what it takes to make the swap in a weekend and what benefits there are to usin factory parts.

I swapped a 340 to a gen III 6.4 with an 833 and can confirm the factory shaft fits with no mods required.