Main Menu

Edelbrock Torquer II vs. RPM manifolds

Started by Matt13, March 06, 2020, 07:50:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Matt13

So, my Barracuda 318 has a Edelbrock RPM manifold on it now with a Holley 4160 4bbl. Both the RPM and the Torquer II require 340/360 heads. I haven't taken off the valve covers yet but I guess I must have 340 or 360 heads on the 318 if there is a RPM manifold already on it. My question is, will it make much of a difference if I switch to a Torquer II manifold in terms of idle smoothness and economy? I would be using a new Holley 4160 4bbl on it. I can get a brand new Torquer II on the cheap. Thanks

JS29

An open plenum intake is for high RPM. duel plane is better for low end torque. I prefer the low low end my self  :alan2cents:

HP2

Despite the name implications, the Torquer is a single plane and the RPM is a dual plane. As such, the Torquer will be down on low rpm torque and the RPM will be down on high RPM horsepower.

Either of these intakes will physically bolt to 318 heads. There may be a mis-match in runner size with 318 heads.

IMO, I  don't think you will see any gain in idle quality or economy by going to the Torquer and you may actually go backwards in both categories.

Matt13

Quote from: JS29 on March 06, 2020, 08:11:54 AM
An open plenum intake is for high RPM. duel plane is better for low end torque. I prefer the low low end my self  :alan2cents:
Well, the car is just going to be a daily driver when it's done. Not going to race it. I want to get the best street use out of it without a rough idle and big thirst. Torquer II then?

HP2

Stick with the dual plane RPM. Avoid the single plane Torquer. The names of these intakes is absolutely inverse of what they actually do.

JS29

NO! The torquer will kill your low end performance. it is best suited for high RPM's. stick with what you have for street driving. :alan2cents:

Matt13

Thanks for the input guys; I'll stick with what's on it.