Main Menu

Edelbrock

Started by Cbridgewater, September 11, 2019, 02:34:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cbridgewater

Anyone use the top end kit (heads, cam, intake) kit from Edelbrock for a 340?

Chryco Psycho

Far better available cams & carbs , I would pass  :bigthumb:

JS29

Quote from: Cbridgewater on September 11, 2019, 02:34:44 PM
Anyone use the top end kit (heads, cam, intake) kit from Edelbrock for a 340?
I cat speak out about a 340, I did use a kit for a 460 ford. put it in a wrecker I had, LOVED IT. It gave me grate low end torque, pulled hills like you would not believe.  :alan2cents:

blown motor

I have it on a 440 that I bought. Heads, intake, cam and carb. It was a new build. Still getting it dialed in but this beast has balls!
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cbridgewater

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 11, 2019, 02:49:05 PM

Suggestions? Fully rebuilt bottom end with 10.5:1 pistons. Will be driven to enjoy, but still want some fun in it.

JS29

I am with Niel on the carb's, I don't like Edelbrock carburetors.  :alan2cents:

bennydodge

Never used the whole kit but I'm running Edelbrock heads and wouldn't buy them again, terrible quality control, tight valve guides, rocker stands that are way off, but they do make really good power once this stuff is sorted out. Nothing wrong with Edelbrock carbs, although I would prefer a true factory Carter original( AVS, Thermoquad). I think if I was building my engine today I would explore the new Trick Flows or port my stock iron.. :alan2cents:
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

RUNCHARGER

I would go Trickflow if you want it to run good.
Sheldon

Rich G.

I've used the performer manifold and cams in 2 engines and for smooth idle and cruising its perfect for what I want. Never used their heads. I have and edlebrock carb on my 51 Dodge pickup with a 400ci engine and I have put 11K miles on it and never touched it since it was installed. Runs great.

1 Wild R/T

Are your pistons taller than the deck at TDC? If so you must use the open chamber heads, if not you have options and they are much better than open chamber heads...

Cbridgewater

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 12, 2019, 09:53:25 AM
Are your pistons taller than the deck at TDC? If so you must use the open chamber heads, if not you have options and they are much better than open chamber heads...

Were you at the Sacramento show this past weekend? Thought I saw your car there

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cbridgewater on September 12, 2019, 10:31:52 AM

Yes, and I'll be in Tahoe this weekend...  Cool September Days car show... but  more important a beautiful drive up and back along hwy 88

gzig5

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 12, 2019, 11:38:17 AM
Quote from: Cbridgewater on September 12, 2019, 10:31:52 AM

Yes, and I'll be in Tahoe this weekend...  Cool September Days car show... but  more important a beautiful drive up and back along hwy 88

I'm jealous.  Every year I visit my friend, during the drive from Reno up to Fall River Mills I always say to myself how awesome it would be to drive the Cuda on those roads.  Twenty-five years ago I used to spend a couple weeks of each fall camping/hunting off Hwy 108 on the edge of the Emigrant Wilderness Area.  Definition of God's country.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Cbridgewater on September 11, 2019, 05:02:26 PM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 11, 2019, 02:49:05 PM

Suggestions? Fully rebuilt bottom end with 10.5:1 pistons. Will be driven to enjoy, but still want some fun in it.

TFS heads with Edlebrock RPM Air Gap intake topped off with a Quick Fuel Q750 carb. I'm running ported Edlebrock RPM heads right now but my new build will have the TFS heads. They flow better than my ported Eddy's. The RPM Air Gap is a excellent intake and the Quick Fuel carbs are hands down my favorite. 

1 Wild R/T

Bringing this back to the top since it's important...

A 68-71 340 is one of very few engines with a positive deck height stock... Which means you can't bolt on a set of closed chamber heads unless the pistons are changed...

That rules out allot of head choices like the Trick Flows..  And the Edelbrock that's not designed with an open chamber....

Edelbrock offers a head with an open chamber but most folks prefer to not have to use it..