Main Menu

EFI for 383

Started by RCman, April 24, 2017, 11:12:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RCman

HI All,
Looking to make the final decision on EFI for my stock-mild 383 backed by a 727. It isn't anything special (that I know of) I was told it is a stock rebuild based on a Magnum motor with a Mopar street purple cam. Unfortunately the previous owner didn't keep good records. For stuff I can see; it has 906 heads and HP manifolds. Right now it has the stock 2806301 intake but I have very clean Edelbrock DP4B I'll be putting on at the same time as the EFI. Stock points ignition which will probably be retaining for now for budgetary reasons.

Anyway, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the two ~$1000 (for the base unit anyway) options. The Holley Sniper (550-510 or 550-511) and the FiTech Go EFI 4 600 HP (30001 or 30002).

As for the tank; I believe I've got it narrowed down and will be buying the Tanks Inc. / Holley 19-137 setup (which is the same unit if I am reading it right) that comes with the tank, pump, sending unit. For the post pump filter I'll probably do a Summit filter SUM-230116-B which I've used in the past on other projects with good results. Probably run everything in Summit's -6AN braided stainless PTFE hose SUM-220985.

I'm sure this has been done before. :thinking:  I was leaning towards the Holley unit but some of you were strongly suggesting the FiTech. I guess I was more thinking of support down the road in 10 years; which will I be able to gets parts for? Holley has been around for a long long while and still services their carbs (that alone weights heavily to me). The Holley seems to have many more standard features/options (most I won't use probably) that only the more expensive FiTech units have. Yet if the FiTech is a much better unit? Not sure and unfortunately I can't get me hands on either unit unless I buy it.

What about linkages? Kickdown?
Thoughts? What am I missing?

Cuda Cody

It's not very much to go to electronic ignition, right?  Do you think the points will be okay with EFI?  :notsure:

If you go with Electronic Ignition, you might look at the Rev-N-Nator because it has a built in Rev Limiter which is nice insurance in case anything goes wrong with the EFI.  Just thinking out loud now.   :thinking:

RCman

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 24, 2017, 11:28:33 AM
It's not very much to go to electronic ignition, right?  Do you think the points will be okay with EFI?  :notsure:

If you go with Electronic Ignition, you might look at the Rev-N-Nator because it has a built in Rev Limiter which is nice insurance in case anything goes wrong with the EFI.  Just thinking out loud now.   :thinking:
Not sure what I'd do for ignition. Right now I'm just trying to solve fuel issues. Eventually probably do something; having a rev-limiter like you point out would be nice.
I know both systems will run with points setup. See page 13 here for Holley setup.

1 Wild R/T

I'm running a FiTech... Been very happy with it so far, though it doesn't like it when your alternator takes a dump.... Thought I had an injection problem, not the case it just doesn't like low voltage...

I put this thing on, input a few simple parameters & it fired right up & has been running better than any of the carbs I've ever tried....

If I were doing it again I'd use the Tanks Inc tank but I'd use the Jakefab fuel puck rather than Tanks Inc version...

Thinking Holley is gonna support their stuff? :haha: BTDT I put Holley EFI on the same car years ago... What a POS & in spite of what you might believe about Holley they were zero help...  I typed the whole story out years ago, posted it on Moparts & saved a copy.. So here ya go...

I ran a Holley Projection DFI system, it ran great....Sometimes...It had no memory capabilities, so the only way to find a problem was to be watching the laptop when it screwed up...If it were a hard fault, no problem, but intermittent problems weren't so easy...The first time I fired it up it had a failed injector...replaced TB assy under warranty...Next a intermittent air charge sensor, it was quicker to just buy one, only $50.00, running pretty good, took a road trip to LA, lost a MAP sensor about 15 miles from home, luckily it made the other 600 or so miles...Running good again, drove it most of the summer, not as consistent as the carter carb but way cooler to be able to pop the hood & say "Yeah its Injected"... :laugh: Another road trip, Sacramento, on the way there I start getting a surge, about 40 miles from home the surge starts feeling worse, I pull off the freeway & the car dies...Call AAA & tow it home...Lost a fuel pump, leaned out & cracked a manifold...As it turns out the exhaust wound up fighting me for three years after that till I got both the warpt flanges & the other manifold replaced as well...You know the carter runs really consistent  :laugh: I think FI is a good thing, I just feel Holley did a cheap half-a$$ job of it & used the cheapest components that the bean-counter in charge of purchasing could find...

RCman

Quote from: TX9AAR on April 24, 2017, 12:01:51 PM
No experience with EFI yet, but the cost has come down so much I'm now considering switching . Looking forward to finding out what other people are using for EFI.  I would go with an electronic ignition when you install the EFI no reason to stay with points
The main reason I am staying with points for the moment is both manufactures recommend getting the system running first and then switching over to something to control timing / spark. Make sense to eliminate troubleshooting steps. Here's Holley's quote, FiTech is similar:

Quote from: Holley Setup ManualHolley recommends that those who wish to use the Sniper's timing control feature first get the engine running
without timing control. Splitting the timing control into a secondary process will add very little time to the total
install, but could significantly help with trouble shooting, should it be needed.

-----------

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 24, 2017, 12:10:42 PM
I'm running a FiTech... Been very happy with it so far, though it doesn't like it when your alternator takes a dump.... Thought I had an injection problem, not the case it just doesn't like low voltage...

I put this thing on, input a few simple parameters & it fired right up & has been running better than any of the carbs I've ever tried....

If I were doing it again I'd use the Tanks Inc tank but I'd use the Jakefab fuel puck rather than Tanks Inc version...

Thinking Holley is gonna support their stuff? :haha: BTDT I put Holley EFI on the same car years ago... What a POS & in spite of what you might believe about Holley they were zero help...  I typed the whole story out years ago, posted it on Moparts & saved a copy.. So here ya go...

I ran a Holley Projection DFI system, it ran great....Sometimes...It had no memory capabilities, so the only way to find a problem was to be watching the laptop when it screwed up...If it were a hard fault, no problem, but intermittent problems weren't so easy...The first time I fired it up it had a failed injector...replaced TB assy under warranty...Next a intermittent air charge sensor, it was quicker to just buy one, only $50.00, running pretty good, took a road trip to LA, lost a MAP sensor about 15 miles from home, luckily it made the other 600 or so miles...Running good again, drove it most of the summer, not as consistent as the carter carb but way cooler to be able to pop the hood & say "Yeah its Injected"... :laugh: Another road trip, Sacramento, on the way there I start getting a surge, about 40 miles from home the surge starts feeling worse, I pull off the freeway & the car dies...Call AAA & tow it home...Lost a fuel pump, leaned out & cracked a manifold...As it turns out the exhaust wound up fighting me for three years after that till I got both the warpt flanges & the other manifold replaced as well...You know the carter runs really consistent  :laugh: I think FI is a good thing, I just feel Holley did a cheap half-a$$ job of it & used the cheapest components that the bean-counter in charge of purchasing could find...
Glad the FiTech is working for you. What motor are you running it on?

For someone not in the know; what makes the JakeFab unit worth the extra expense besides being fancy billet? Is it so one would put their own package together with an Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pump (like the 11540 maybe?) vs whatever the Walbro unit is that comes in the Tanks Inc. / Holley setup?

Sad to hear there was some issues with the older Holley systems. From what I've been reading the newer Sniper seems to be decent but there are more FiTech units on the streets for sure (or at least available reviews).

Edit: You might be on to something there with the fuel puck. Seems about few bucks cheaper to go with the Tanks Inc. Fuel Tanks TCR8B-T, Tanks Inc. Fuel Level Sending Units TAN-ORG, Tanks Inc. Fuel Tank Mounting Straps ST50, Aeromotive Fuel Pump 11540 and the Jake's Fuel Puck. Unless I am missing something?

1 Wild R/T

My Challenger has a 383, 915 heads cut .050 to get the chambers down to 72cc's..... KB 162 pistons, a Comp XE268, lots of massaging to get it right.... It idles like it's stock but runs like I remember them running 40 years ago....

Jakefab pucks seem to solve the fuel leaking from the pump area issues that seem to be very common... And I haven't been that impressed with the quality of Walbro pumps lately so yeah I'm thinking an Aeromotive pump upgrade might be a good call.....

RCman

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 24, 2017, 12:49:11 PM
My Challenger has a 383, 915 heads cut .050 to get the chambers down to 72cc's..... KB 162 pistons, a Comp XE268, lots of massaging to get it right.... It idles like it's stock but runs like I remember them running 40 years ago....

Jakefab pucks seem to solve the fuel leaking from the pump area issues that seem to be very common... And I haven't been that impressed with the quality of Walbro pumps lately so yeah I'm thinking an Aeromotive pump upgrade might be a good call.....
Sounds like a nice engine.
Yeah after looking at that Jakefab setup seems pretty slick. Thanks for pointing it out.

1971Y13

Fueltank is $83 sheaper at ebay, I bought a Fitech 30002 and now I have found out that I need a tank  :o
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361548619228?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
1971 'Cuda
1968 GTX

shawge

This is my current project - 383 Victor converted to EFI, using MS3Pro to control fuel/spark

Love the Aeromotive pump - so quiet.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Chryco Psycho

Don't be shy about putting a large intake on it, eddy even has forward facing ones now The efi will love it 7 forward facing you can fit a lot better air cleaner system

RCman

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 24, 2017, 04:56:40 PM
Don't be shy about putting a large intake on it, eddy even has forward facing ones now The efi will love it 7 forward facing you can fit a lot better air cleaner system
I hear you but I've already got the DP4B. I've seen that Edelbrock Pro-Flo XT manifold but I thought it was for the 440.
Plus intakes are easy to swap later on. Right?  :yes:

shawge

Yeah, the pro-flo is only for RB. Not a lot of EFI manifold options for B blocks.
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Marc70challenger

Quote from: shawge on April 24, 2017, 01:33:20 PM
This is my current project - 383 Victor converted to EFI, using MS3Pro to control fuel/spark

Love the Aeromotive pump - so quiet.

Looks familiar. Lol

Good luck with motor!

Edit. Can't figure out how get iPad not to rotate pics like this.  :'(

Edit by Cuda Cody: rotated photo.  :bigthumb:

shawge

Quote from: Marc70challenger on April 25, 2017, 12:30:45 PM

Looks familiar. Lol

Good luck with motor!

Edit. Can't figure out how get iPad not to rotate pics like this.  :'(

Thanks! :bradsthumb: Looking good on your end! Good to see another B block going EFI. 

I finished up chasing leaks at the hard/soft fuel line transitions this last weekend. Need to weld some bungs for the 02 sensors and then...  :burnout:
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Chryco Psycho

Stage 6 or Victor raised port heads will take the RB intake  :bradsthumb: