Main Menu

Electric Fuel Pump Installation

Started by rdf, July 31, 2020, 06:51:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rdf

At the advice of many on a previous thread, I purchased a Mallory 110 Electric Fuel Pump (thanks for all the input on that thread  :bigthumb:).  I'm about to install it next weekend but have a few questions I'm hoping to get answered.  I purchased the original fuel lines from Inline Tube last year and they fit as expected.  However, now that I'll be using an electric fuel pump, I'll have to cut the line and fit it properly.  I don't have a a flare tool and I'm concerned if I do it myself, I may mess it up and have issues.  I know O'Reilly Auto Parts makes lines to specifications so I was thinking I could bring the pump to them, have them fit both sides with about a foot of tube but not flare the end (not connected to the pump)....then when I install it, I can use a small piece of rubber fuel line on each to connect easily.  Has anyone done it like this?  Are there any other suggested ways?
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

rdf

Here's what I was thinking of doing...3/8 to 3/8 fitting in each side, then fuel line hose to the steel lines.  Yay, nay?

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

JonH

Sure that will work, but you need to have some sort of a flare, or raised rib on the cut end of your steel lines. That will help the rubber line stay on... :alan2cents:

73_Cuda_4_Me

You can do that, and get 3/8 female compression fitting to 3/8 hose barbs for each side of fuel line... (assuming 3/8 fuel line)

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Fitting-Compression-Fitzall-CR-1011/dp/B01I3MTL6U

If you have 1/4 inch fuel lines, you should be able to get 1/4" female compression to 3/8 NPT, and add 3/8 hose barb... takes a couple extra fittings...

That way no flaring is required...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Claudia

If you purchased your OE replacement metal lines from In-line Tube, don't they already have the flare on each end?  I just upgraded my car to an electric fuel pump and my replacement lines (also from In-line Tube, pre-bent) already had flares on both ends.

dodj

Be aware that some compression connectors are not certified for fuel. Swagelok is certified.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill