Main Menu

Electric Water Pumps for a small block

Started by mopar thunder, February 12, 2018, 11:17:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

How many here run sb electric water pumps?  If so, which ones have you found to be good?  I know Meziere makes one in the low $400's.

Crash520

I'm using a mechanical at this stage but am thinking of an in line electric pump that I can run while the engine is off to cool the motor between runs, but be able to leave off during normal driving so the mechanical pump would have to pull the water through the electric pump. Davies Graig make them, if that's an option to you? Whilst the full on electric pumps work well over a mechanical I have seen them stop running due to failed connections and poor wiring, Mopar's aren't strong on quality wiring so it's kinda why I'm sticking with a PWR pump
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

cudabob496

they stink compared to a mechanical. Tried a couple.
Once the fuse blew, and overheating occurs quickly!
Lousy at stop signs. Lousy period. Unless you just
run 1/8 mile races.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Marc70challenger

Quote from: mopar thunder on February 12, 2018, 11:17:49 AM
How many here run sb electric water pumps?  If so, which ones have you found to be good?  I know Meziere makes one in the low $400's.

Meziere are very good. Most of guys I know at Drag Week use em. And many dudes that I know locally at shop we hang out at. All very high perf motors/cars. They run DW 1200 miles in 5 days and then all around their local towns, to and fro local shows/events, etc.   

Electric water pump for "street" cars today are more legit due to technology and quality  now versus 15+ years ago.

BUT. Like crash said. They have to be wired correctly.  If you have a stock wiring harness then I'd wire completely outside of that. With properly gauged wiring, relay(s), etc.    If they are wired properly they shouldn't even blow a fuse. (People like to take short cuts or just don't know and don't use relays, for example).   Not saying you did this Bob. I didn't read what you wrote til after what I did. Lol.

Why are you considering an electric pump?  Just curious.

https://www.meziere.com/Products/Cooling-System-Products/Pumps-Electric/Mopar/Electric-Pump-Mopar-SB-Standard.aspx  High volume one

mopar thunder

Quote from: Marc70challenger on February 12, 2018, 06:24:14 PM
Quote from: mopar thunder on February 12, 2018, 11:17:49 AM

Meziere are very good. Most of guys I know at Drag Week use em. And many dudes that I know locally at shop we hang out at. All very high perf motors/cars. They run DW 1200 miles in 5 days and then all around their local towns, to and fro local shows/events, etc.   

Electric water pump for "street" cars today are more legit due to technology and quality  now versus 15+ years ago.

BUT. Like crash said. They have to be wired correctly.  If you have a stock wiring harness then I'd wire completely outside of that. With properly gauged wiring, relay(s), etc.    If they are wired properly they shouldn't even blow a fuse. (People like to take short cuts or just don't know and don't use relays, for example).   Not saying you did this Bob. I didn't read what you wrote til after what I did. Lol.

Why are you considering an electric pump?  Just curious.

https://www.meziere.com/Products/Cooling-System-Products/Pumps-Electric/Mopar/Electric-Pump-Mopar-SB-Standard.aspx  High volume one

I've had them on previous cars and they have run well. With this new build I thought it might be a little easier beltwise and free up a little HP.

Chryco Psycho

I doubt you will reduce draw , all you are doing is transfering the draw from the pump tot he alternator