Main Menu

Engine Lifting Plate

Started by headejm, July 30, 2017, 12:13:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

@Chryco Psycho and others. I usually use a chain and 4 intake manifold bolts to lift my engine/transmission. I am considering making an engine lifting plate that bolts to the 4 carburetor mounting bolts. I can make the plate strong enough so I'm not worried about that. My question is about the 4 carburetor mounting holes. Are those strong enough to lift an engine and transmission?  :notsure:

soundcontrol

I see many people use the carb holes for lifting the engine, even Hemis. Never seen or heard of one failing. But I won't do it, especially not with an aluminum intake, I just don't trust the threads to hold all the weight. I use the boltholes on the side of the heads instead, piece of mind...  :alan2cents:

Roadman

I use a plate on carb studs all the time, never had a problem.   :alan2cents:      :rebelflag"

RUNCHARGER

I've seen it done as well. Not something I'll try myself though, obviously it works but I don't tempt fate.
Sheldon

lulurocks(Ken)

Quote from: Roadman on July 30, 2017, 12:26:47 PM
   I use a plate on carb studs all the time, never had a problem.   :alan2cents:      :rebelflag"

:iagree:

Ive been using one for years , always use 4 bolts, grade 5 with washers and youll never had a problem .

I bought this last year and love it :    http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/pivot-engine-lift-plate/PiVOT-and-Adapters

Burdar

Aluminum intakes are more than strong enough. The key is to use the proper length bolt and to make sure they are tight. Grade 5 is all you need. I'd be more worried about a cheap lift plate failing before the bolts or intake threads.

6bblgt

headejm

If it can hold an elephant, it should be able to hold a 383!  :ohyeah:

P.S. Beautiful engine there!

Cuda70-74

U can always use the 4 way leveler. That's what I use.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

soundcontrol

Quote from: Cuda70-74 on July 30, 2017, 11:21:04 PM

I use that also, and you can adjust the angle at any time.

anlauto

I've used several methods and never had any fail....I like the carb plate, but often times I leave the carbs on.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

This is what I would use , far safer
but I always install from the bottom anyway , faster & easier

fc7cuda

I prefer to install from below, but if going over the top I use this lift plate I made.  It will accommodate 4bbl, 6bbl, or Hemi intakes.

Chryco Psycho

Even installing from below as I always do you still need to lift the engine onto the K frame

redgum78

Thats my method as well.