Main Menu

Engine pad question

Started by gpm6367, February 10, 2020, 02:36:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gpm6367

Should a 71 383 have a stamped pad like this one?

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

JS29

anlauto

Are we starting over again ? :)  That pad is NOT found on a 1971 383. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

gpm6367

This is funny. Opinions are all over the map. The motor is considered a B and should have a pad to left (under) the distributor.

I sent my seller back a third time and it's there, under the fuel line. Hard to see but it's stamped C383. Probably a date lower but it's obscured.

anlauto

Okay...just figured out you have two threads going on the same question. However looking at your first picture in this thread you're using for reference is of a RB block 440. That large pad is located on the driver's side of the block up near the intake manifold.

Your second picture in this thread is of a B block 383 showing a flat area under the distributor.

This picture posted in your other thread clearly explains the two different locations.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cudascott

The pad on all B series 383 blocks is on the deck surface of the right cylinder bank directly under the distributor hole. I can't see the pad in the pic but  if it's C383 then it's a block that was originally installed in a 67'  the assembly date should be stamped in the pad as well. You guys know all this I'm sure just thought some clarification was needed. Here's a pic for reference

anlauto

gpm6367