Main Menu

Engine Pulleys

Started by Car-nutt, June 29, 2017, 06:29:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Car-nutt

Hello everyone, I just got my motor back from the engine builders. I am putting the pulleys back on and found that the crank pulley is vey snug, to the point where I may have to use a rubber mallet put install it. I am also runner an aftermarket A/C unit (Classic Auto Air). I am restoring the car, its a factory air 71 Cuda big block. The car came with a 440 6pak(not original), I am keeping that way. Does anyone have any pictures of the pulley set up. I have a 4 grove crank, single water pump pulley, double altenator pulley and a idler pulley. It all came in boxes and would like some references. Any help would be appreciated.

Chryco Psycho

None of these new parts are made in bulk for the assembly line any more os a snug fit may just be a poor stamping of the repro pulley .
I do not have pics but some one will

Car-nutt

Thank you, if anyone has pitches it would be a great help.

Cuda Cody

I don't have any photos of an AC set up, but do you really need 4 grooves?  Often times the Alt will have a double, but the non AC cars only use one side of the pulley.  Is it different on AC cars?

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 30, 2017, 09:18:00 AM
I don't have any photos of an AC set up, but do you really need 4 grooves?  Often times the Alt will have a double, but the non AC cars only use one side of the pulley.  Is it different on AC cars?

YES...two belts do the AC/Alt, one belt does the fan and one belt does the PS.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparDave

Not sure about the idler. The 3 vintage air kit I put in had. 4 groove crank. 2 groove water pump used with a 2 groove alternator. with No idler.
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100

shawge

Is the A/C version of the WP pulley smaller in diameter than the non-A/C one?  Did you get those pulleys from Vintage?
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Car-nutt

Do you have more pic's? I have just installed the compressor, it fits perfect.

MoparDave

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/868/903

Vintage and classic only sell you the air box. everything else I get from BRP.

B/RB Double Groove Water Pump Pulley, Satin Black Finish
Fits MOST all  B/RB/Crate Hemi Engines w/ P.S. & w/ A.C.

B/RB Double Groove Water Pump Pulley, Satin Black Finish Fits MOST all  B/RB/Crate Hemi Engines w/ P.S. & w/ A.C.

Works with 4 Groove Factory Crankshaft Pulley or BPE4013

O.D. 5 7/8"

Note:1-Most original water pump pulleys made before 1973 were a Single Groove Pulley. BPE4016 is a direct replacement for the original single groove Pulley

2-Belt routing with this pulley along with the 4 groove crankshaft pulley: 2 inner grooves on Crankshaft Pulley align with A/C Compressor and Alternator, 3 rd Groove out on 4 groove crankshaft would align with the inner groove and the water pump pulley and the power steering pulley. 4th groove out aligns with the outer groove on the water pump pulley and is tensioned by an idler that mounts under altrernator bracket (we do not manufacture that idler/tensioner assembly)

3-The BPE4016 is the same diameter as the original single groove style pulley

4-Some 1966 and earlier B/RB engines had the 1/2" wide  power steering belt . This pulley is designed to work with the 1967 and later , thinner belts

MoparDave

pics of ? its really self explanatory once your putting it back together.

Chryco Psycho

I am sure it is different using the Sanden compressor vs the original V2 set up
The V2 used an idler

MoparDave

I get the V2 and what all is with that, but the presumption is that he has the sanden? he Doesn't say it but that's the thought. And doesn't say where the compressor is mounted. On top like the pic I have or under the alternator? If it is up top its pretty basic as the compressor is in a fixed position but in line with the crank and alternator. as for the Idler and a single groove WP pulley. I do not know. The kits I have put in were Vintage but not sure what would be supplied in the classic air kit.

would be easier if @Car-nutt posted pics of what he has?

here's another pic of another one we did.

headejm

Here are some pictures of a 1970 383 with factory air. Hope they help.  :cheers:

Car-nutt

Thank you very much for all the pics, I have installed the compressor on the motor. It seems to fit, the pulleys line up really well. Next I am installing the water valve, if any one has any pics of the water valve that would be a great help too. Sorry for the sideways pics..

anlauto

That's the wrong water control valve bracket :alan2cents: I believe correct ones are in reproduction.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration