Main Menu

Engine start-up

Started by dodj, September 05, 2017, 06:42:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Hi all
started the 440 for the first time this year after a cam/lifter/chain change and it started up immediately - one or two revs - and ran for 20 mins. Thanks all who offered start-up tips - Shane - Runcharger- BUT, it has a very pronounced  'ticking' noise. So I figure either I messed up setting the lifter preload,  (PRW rockers),  or one of the new lifters is bad.
Anything else I should be looking at?
How do I determine which lifter is creating the noise?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cuda Cody

Take the valve covers off and check the pre-loads on the rockers.  See if one of the lifters is loose.  They make tools that go in your ear like a doctors stethoscope that has a single metal tube on the end for listening to engines.  Some people can use a screw driver to do the same thing.  Once you find out where the noise is coming from it will be easier to find the problem and fix it.  And congratulations on getting the engine running.

cudabob496

sometimes it can be a pushrod hitting the head
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Chryco Psycho

It could possibly be an exhaust leak too
if it is a rocker/ lifter problem checking the last will immediately show the issue

Tunis

Rocker hitting valve cover?

cudabob496

Quote from: Tunis on September 06, 2017, 12:52:24 AM
Rocker hitting valve cover?

ya, look for shiny spot under valve cover
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Shane Kelley

I would just go through the whole valve adjustment procedure one more time and make sure they are all set correctly. If one is a little loose another might be a little tight. I have done motors where I'm positive I did all of them perfectly. Then go back into it and find I did have one or two a little loose or tight. Sometimes it's just a matter of how the lifter was sitting on the lobe. This way you will know the adjustment is for sure perfect.

HP_Cuda

Mopars are notorious for noisy valve trains.

Either you have a nice exhaust leak, your valves need the lash adjusted, or your lifters are ready to implode.

Hopefully it's a simple fix.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

dodj

Thanks All
Sounds like going over the preload adjustment again is the best first step.
:drinkingbud:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

Well, 15 out of 16 would be good on an exam, but not quite good enough when adjusting rockers. Found the #5 cyl exhaust rocker adjustment loose. Guess I missed it. Runs much quieter now.
Seeing as I missed one, I followed Shane's advise and re-did them all. A couple other rockers were questionable......and I thought I was so careful the first time I did it.

Shane Kelley

For some reason it still happens to me from time to time that's why I thought that might be your problem. Glad to here your all fixed.

Roadman

:rebelflag"   I run thru the whole process twice, and still worry.   :notsure:  Now go  :burnout:

dodj

Quote from: Roadman on September 16, 2017, 04:33:05 PM
:rebelflag"   I run thru the whole process twice, and still worry.   :notsure:  Now go  :burnout:

30 or so years ag, I did not tghten properly the inlet rocker adjuster locknut on an 850 Norton and paid the price when it backed off and the pushrod broke the rocker, made me realize not a good idea to do the adjustment after drinking a half bottle of whisky.

RUNCHARGER

Good job however the worry is still there. Run it again (for at least 20 more minutes) and check them all again, keep your eye on it especially of course. There is always a possibility you adjusted it fine the first time and you have a problem. I really watch preload/clearance on a new engine and relax a bit more each time I check them.
Sheldon