Main Menu

Finally got my motor back

Started by tparker, April 29, 2021, 03:45:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Yay, I got my motor back finally. The wait was crazy. I dropped it off back in September of 2020 or so. They were backed up, slower than normal, and parts are getting harder to get apparently. 340 stroked to 416 :) Scat crank and Hughes cam. Hopefully paint it next weekend and start assembly and then shover 'er in.

7E-Bodies

My 440 has been in our local shop for just a few months shy of 2 years and the lower assembly is just now done. Your guy is FAST!!! Lol.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

tparker

What! Are you serious? Holy Crap. OK, I'll stop complaining.

hmmmm... why are my photos side ways?

Scooter

^^^ NICE! Going to hit that thing with some blue before you stab it in the engine compartment right? What are the specs on the cam? Interested as I note the stock rockers in place.

-Scoot

tparker

Orange actually. I picked up a cam from Hughes Engines
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=search&search=SEH2832AL-10&partid=30242

I might redo, or possibly replace, the heads later if need be. I'm doing it on a budget and what I have should be fine for now. It isn't gonna be a monster built should have a lot of fun packed in.

Mrbill426

Congrats; looks good  :bigthumb:

Took about six months to get my block checked out; bored; cam bushings installed; rods reworked and bushed; and crank ground.  The crank grinding was the major holdup as the grinder quite taking in new work and they had to find another shop that was also backed up.

Scooter

Quote from: tparker on May 02, 2021, 02:00:08 PM
Orange actually. I picked up a cam from Hughes Engines
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=search&search=SEH2832AL-10&partid=30242

I might redo, or possibly replace, the heads later if need be. I'm doing it on a budget and what I have should be fine for now. It isn't gonna be a monster built should have a lot of fun packed in.

At 416 cubes you should have torque for days... orange.. right on!  :twothumbsup:

jimynick

Here's another vote for the orange! That's what colour my 408 will be if I EVER get the car painted. LOL Good luck with it and I'm sure you'll be happy.  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

chargerdon

What CAM did you get ?   What Intake manifold and carb ?

nsmall

Looks awesome.  Make sure you save some money for a second set of tires. :stayinlane:

tparker

Quote from: chargerdon on May 03, 2021, 01:33:23 PM

I got a Hughes engine cam. The link is above for the specs if you're interested. I have an old Edlebrock manifold I've had on it since about 1990. I might upgrade it later since there has been some advances since then. I picked up a 750 Edlebrock carb. I also have a couple carter AVS. Not sure what I will end up running. I mainly picked up the Edlebrock because it was running and I rebuilt the carter. I don't want to mess with anything else while I try to start it for break in, so I went with a carb that is known to work.  :)

Scooter

Quote from: tparker on May 04, 2021, 09:44:59 AM
Quote from: chargerdon on May 03, 2021, 01:33:23 PM

I got a Hughes engine cam. The link is above for the specs if you're interested. I have an old Edlebrock manifold I've had on it since about 1990. I might upgrade it later since there has been some advances since then. I picked up a 750 Edlebrock carb. I also have a couple carter AVS. Not sure what I will end up running. I mainly picked up the Edlebrock because it was running and I rebuilt the carter. I don't want to mess with anything else while I try to start it for break in, so I went with a carb that is known to work.  :)

That Hughes cam has .530 int and .536 exh. lobe lift with 110 sep... should be fairly choppy. I see that you are using the 1.5 stock stamped rockers. Any concern using the stock pieces with that much cam? I just received an email my Promaxx heads are being delivered early this weekend. I've been shopping rockers. My cam has .454/.454 @ 110. Thinking of using 1.6 ratio rollers to get that bumped to .484/.484 as the new heads should flow a better than the stock and the springs are supposedly good up to .600.  I've heard the stock stamped rockers are good up to about .500 lobe lift. And those springs will need to be fairly stout. Hate to think of one of those pushrods punching through the rocker.

On the intake side.. which Edelbrock do you have? Older RPM maybe? I currently have a Weiand Action Plus sitting on top. The previous owner gave me a Edelbrock Air Gap.. chrome unit he kinda made a mess of around the thermostat.. has black RTV or some other sealant caked on it. Most of that is hidden behind my AC compressor and I hear the Air gap is the dual plane of choice nowadays. Thinking of tossing it on with the new heads. 

On the carb.. I went with the 625 Holley Demon vac sec. & could not be happier. Is your ride manual or auto? 

:bigthumb:

MoparLeo

Maybe it just me but Since the goal should be on a new engine to not get any dirt etc... on the inside,... no valve covers, no timing cover, open valley, open intake ports and a chain laying in the valley. Anything that has oil/lubricant on it will just be a dirt magnet. and is just asking for dirt/debris getting inside when you get it assembled oiled up and then started. At least blow it off and bag it. But...not mine.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

ledphoot

tparker

@Scooter The builder seemed to think it should be ok. I worked with a guy at Hughes engines and they recommended the cam, so I hope it should be good. They have a slightly different philosophy about cams and lift. Not sure if that applies here though. They did highly recommend bigger springs which I got and put on. Had to do a bit of machining to get them in correctly apparently.

I think the Manifold is an old RPM. No real markings on it other than Edlebrock and a part number on the bottom. I got it around 1990. The tranny is a 727 torqueflight.