Main Menu

340 Rebuild

Started by Crocha617, December 17, 2018, 10:21:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Crocha617

Has anyone ever used one of these Summit Rebuild kits? I had a 73 340 in my garage and was planning on throwing it in my convertible this winter. I was just going to do new rings and bearings but was also thinking for a few hundred bucks more some better pistons might help. I was looking at Speed Pro's & KB's and then came across this kit and it looks like it might have the same Speed Pro looking pistons in it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fem-mkp713a-311/overview/make/dodge

1 Wild R/T

If you click the tab at the top that says kit contents it confirms the pistons are Speed Pro 2613F   which while they are heavy (same as a stock 340 piston) they are the 68-70 design with a 1.84 compression height....   Good parts for a budget build.. :ohyeah:

Crocha617

Thanks. I didn't even see that tab. I'll give them a shot. Now to pick out a Cam. 904 auto with 3:23 rear. Any recommendations?

Cuda Cody

GrandpaKevin

I used the Federal Mogul engine rebuild kit from Summit to rebuilt a 440 Six Pack engine for my wife's car.

The pistons included in the kit were the forged Speed Pro (TRW) L2355F Six Pack replacement ones.

I considered lighter and more $$$ pistons but my engine builder said all the parts in the kit were quality pieces and were perfect for a performance street car build.

Everything went together real nice and the car has been running great for the last 2 years.

I opted for aluminum heads and a mild Lunati cam.

Mild Six Pack type stall converter and 3.23 gear in her car too.

Chryco Psycho

I still like the Lunati Voodoo series designed for the wider Mopar lifter not borrowing the chev lobes as a lot of companies do

Shane Kelley

I would go with something on the small side running a auto trans and a 3.23 gear. Possibly a stock 340 spec replacement cam or something similar. You put a cam in there that lopes and it will make that car a pig off the line. 340's really like a low gear.  :alan2cents:

Crocha617

Thanks for the input. I need to take a good look at the cam that was in there and see what it is.

RUNCHARGER

This should work okay. Those slugs are heavy but the engine will last if you keep the revs down (around 5500 will be safe) and camming for your gearing will enhance that as well.
Sheldon