Main Menu

FItech installation on Challenger with 340

Started by Nel, May 31, 2018, 06:22:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Nel

Hi,
Okay, so I'm installing a Go street Fitech 400 on the Challenger. Thec ar is totally stock with a freashly rebuild 340, original fuel system and guages.

Afther asking a lot of questions around, here what I think Im going with. Tank inc give me what is suppose to be all the correct parts. They even send all the items in a shopping cart.

At first they give me the mecanical sending units, but a good guy told me they where a P in the A. I ask them and they give me that one.

Anybody know if I really need their fuel tank straps? Cause mine are new, I could reuse them

Where Im lost now its with the fuel filter and the lines. Should I buy the Tank inc kit witch has rubber hoses, filter and fitting to install a FItech http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=548/category_id=61/mode=prod/prd548.htm, or just get a filter and some metal line for the return and reuse the one we have?

The same member told me that I should use a GM LS type of filter  http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=425/category_id=61/mode=prod/prd425.htm so I dont have to run the return line right to the front. That sound nice, but some mecanic says that having 2 fuel regulators is not a good thing and they says that they dont see how it would work for the return line since its not attache to the trottle body.

I know it alot of questions but some body have answers? Please

1 Wild R/T

Round 2..  You can use your gas tank straps, don't need new ones again....

Ask your mechanic friend how the second regulator has any effect when you are plugging the return line on the throttle body.....  FiTech tells you you can do it in their instructions

Brads70

Your gas tank straps will be fine.  I'm still running a carb but built my fuel system for FI  in the future. I have the tanks Inc fuel tank and just bought the fuel pump/sending unit and have yet to install it. But for fuel lines I bought PTFE lines /fittings here....
http://www.frozenboost.com/index.php?cPath=219&osCsid=6dd5cc73b412f25e6949c519f71b64d3
I have a mallory filter that I'll simply swap filter cartridges for FI or carb.  https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/maa-29249/overview/

With the Tanks Inc fuel tank I also installed their trap door to make life easier I won't have to drop the fuel tank.

Hope that helps you some?  :wave:

303 Mopar

I would recommend calling Tanks Inc and ask them. They were very helpful when I bought their set up for my 392.  I also replaced all the metal lines with the Tanks Inc tank, pump, filter/regulator, AN fittings, and FI rubber line.  All good quality stuff!

Nel

Hi Wild R/T, well dont want a fight. The mecanic is just a guy a know a little, is not even the friend that going to help me to install everything. Its just that he put doub in my mind, its something that I dont want to screw up.

Thank everybody I will contact tanck inc again, they seem to be really help full. More then FITech that dont answer to any e-mail. Even if they says to contact them for the shipping to canada.  :huh:

GoodysGotaCuda

We have about 1,000 miles on our Li'l Red Express using only the built-in FiTech regulator.

I have the LS-style regulator on my 'Cuda with an electronic fuel pressure sensor. The LS-style puts out a very poor fuel pressure, it's all over the place given it's a fixed style. Luckily my ECU monitors fuel pressure an adjusts injector pulse-width, the FiTech won't do that...
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Nel

The LS filter would be more for the return line that I would'nt need. The FItech has is own built in pressur regulator so you think it would be alright?.

1 Wild R/T

Like I stated in your first thread, I run the return line & use FiTech's regulator, it works well.... Only reason I mentioned the LS deal is it saves you running a return & I've only heard positive reviews till now.... I'd never heard of issues with pressure fluctuation.... Since I trust Mike  (Goody's) input I won't suggest the LS filter anymore....

Nel

One more little thing, the mecanic fuel pump bolck off plate, is there some better then others. They all fit good?

Katfish

Why not consider a Spectra tank, its exact fit for car and cheaper.
Been working great for me....
Check RockAuto

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 02, 2018, 09:21:11 PM
Like I stated in your first thread, I run the return line & use FiTech's regulator, it works well.... Only reason I mentioned the LS deal is it saves you running a return & I've only heard positive reviews till now.... I'd never heard of issues with pressure fluctuation.... Since I trust Mike  (Goody's) input I won't suggest the LS filter anymore....

..I'll add a visual. This is a long pull, 3rd and 4th gear, if I remember. I don't typically go well into 5th for very long.  :stop:

Top Graph
Green: TPS (%)
White: RPM

Bottom Graph
Red: Vehicle Speed (mph)
White: Fuel Pressure (kpa)

This may be better if the filter was closer to the engine, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of using it to have a shorter return line. The fixed pressure just doesn't respond well, from what I've found. I would go to a vac-referenced regulator or just put my fuel pump in closed loop and let the ECU PWM it based on demand.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

docmel

The FITECH uses its own internal fuel regulator that is built into the body. You dont need to run an additional one, its right in the instructions:  I am not sure why you would use an additional one, let alone two more?  I have two FITECHs now on two of my projects, none have an additional pressure regulator and they run great

Watch the blue wire:  It cant be near a source of high energy, like spark plug wires.  Thats right in the instructions, and it will cause all sorts of problems.  Had a guy near me that had all sorts of wierd issues. Poor idle, pressure fluctuation, coughing on accel, etc. Turns out he had the blue wire tied on spark plug wire hear the distributor.  All we did is move oit out of contact, and all was then smooth as silk

The FITECH is made to run out of the box with very little manual tuning.   If it is running poorly, its prob due to installation error.  TRIPLE CHECK the instructions.   Fuel filter placement is also described in detail

Also, you need a good and constant 13 plus volts