Main Menu

Flex Plate Bolts Hitting Transmission Shield

Started by Jay Bee, September 04, 2022, 06:16:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

Over the last 2 weeks I've been putting starters in & out of my car with no issues. Put one in, drive a while - put another one in, drive awhile, put the third one in and now the flex plate bolt(s) are hitting the transmission cover shield. So, I'm guessing I must have did something to to the cover at some point. I've tried tweaking it and no luck so it's currently off the car.

1. Does anyone else have theirs removed and encountered any issues without it there?
2. Has anyone successfully bent/adjusted one to move it away just enough?

The car was driven only about 25 miles from no noise to noise. There's about 0.073" lateral movement of the torque convertor.

As always. any input is appreciated.
John

PatO

When I rebuilt my car I purchased a new dust shield,  the flex plat bolts rubbed immediately but only slightly.  I was able to adjust the upper mounting taps fairly easily. I also was able to slightly bow the dust shield away from the bolts by placing it on a thick towel and tapping it with a hammer and block of wood.  Didn't take much and I was in the clear.  :bradsthumb:

blown motor

I don't have a cover on the Charger or the truck. Hasn't been a problem.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Jay Bee

Murray, thanks for some peace of mind.
PatO, my upper tabs are currently straight. Which way did you bend yours, I imagine towards the back, correct

PatO

been about 3 years now but I'm pretty sure I bent them back slightly.

Jay Bee

Thank you. Now to find some ambition to take the starter in/out (& repeat if I don't get it the first time).

Jay Bee

Update: I give up. After 7 hours yesterday nothing changed. I bent tabs, bowed out the shield (think I did), added washers, checked flex plate bolts, ground down the lip on the starter opening only to end up leaving it off. Oh, and I don't see any scratch/scoring marks on the shield either. Visually it looks like there's more than .073" movement in the torque convertor. If I ever get that re-measured I'll post it and ask for more opinions.

Bullitt-

I'm not sure what the original issue is you were chasing but have you considered the flex plate may be cracked?
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Jay Bee

When I rotated the crank to look at the flex plate bolts I didn't see any crack. Then again, I wasn't looking closely for cracks nor would I know how obvious one would have been if it was. I like to think if there was a crack there I would have spotted it.

I guess the original issue is/was that after testing a few starters at some point there was noise coming from the car with the transmission shield on and it goes away with the shield off.

MoparCarGuy

Are you using factory bolts on the torque convertor?
Originals are shallow head. You may consider carefully clearancing each one with a die grinder or mini grinder.

Saw your reply below. FWIW - My shield is not installed for the same problem.  :o

Jay Bee

MOPAR MITCH

Are you 100% certain that the TC bolts are actually hitting the inspection cover?   Have you taken off the cover to look at the inside of the cover for rotational score marks?

Jay Bee

That's the weird thing, I don't see any score marks. My next bout of ambition will be painting the backside, re-install, run motor, put in gear, remove shield and see if any paint has been rubbed off.