Main Menu

Found problem Re-positioning clutch fork ?

Started by Racer57, July 23, 2023, 08:17:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Adjusted clutch too far and now the fork isn't hooked up with the throwout bearing and I can't get it out, so I can reposition it.  Been a long time since I had it apart and don't remember how to disconnect the flat spring on fork (if needed) to get it out.  :pullinghair:

I'm sure the fork just pulls out, the fork has a slot that the pivot sits into and the spring just holds the fork loosely in place.I have changed forks and the bellhousing pivot once or twice on big block cars with the trans installed
With the bottom cover off you can see to align the fork back onto the throwout bearing and guide it into the pivot at the same time

Racer57

My bell housing does not have a bottom cover.  :(

Looking through the hole, I can see that its moving the thrust bearing, But since I can't pull the fork out, I don't know for sure wtf is going on. I have it on a lift, but I really don't want to bug my friends asking for help to pull the tranny if I don't have too.

torredcuda

I just went thru this, the fork just slides into the bracket on the bellhousing and clips into the throwout bearing with two spring type clips. I had a bitch of a time getting both clips back in at the same time - I would get one in and when I popped the other one in the first one would pop out. After an hour or so of trying, wit a lot of swearing, I decided to use my head. I ended up making a tool out of a piece of 1/8" with a hook on the end and used it as a pull rod to hold the top clip in while I pushed in the lower one - worked like a charm first time! You said your bellhousing does not have a bottom cover, aftermarket I`m guessing? If so my info won`t be of much help and you will most likely  have to pull the transmission to see what is going on and reinstall the clips if neccesary.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

wimpy

I was about to ask about replacing the fork,mine broke yesterday and am wondering if this is common. It broke at the eye where the adjuster touches it. That's the thinnest area.

Racer57

No idea wtf happen to cause this. But at least I don't have to pull the bellhousing.

Racer57 if you don't have an inspection cover, I'm sure even if you got the fork out you likely would never get the fork reattached to both sides of the throw out bearing as without the inspection cover you can't see what you're doing and the bearing freely spins on the trans bearing retainer.
You said you can see the fork moving the throw out bearing so now I'm thinking you may have clutch problems or the front bearing retainer on the trans issues
Looks like call your friends and pull it apart to find out. Do you need the after market bell housing? this might be the time to put the stock setup back in

Racer57 sorry your post hadn't come thru when I was posting, I had a pivot break on a 340 once, replaced it and had no issues again
Glad you didn't have to pull the trans