Main Menu

FSHTAIL: Tremec TKX 5 speed manual transmission E body kit

Started by FSHTAIL, September 11, 2021, 01:14:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

I'm not sure how thorough this is going to be, I'm not sure if this is going to answer a lot of questions.     But I'll try my best to document this conversion as well as answer any questions someone may have.   

At the moment of writing this, We've gotten it on jack stands and I have unhooked the battery terminal.  I bought a few things, the headers are not in the way, Hooker Pro Comps..     

The car is a 73 Plymouth Cuda made to look like 70 AAR style, original a833 car, buckets, no counsel. 

I opted for the hydraulic setup.   
First observations are that the kit is well packaged, labeled and thorough instructions included.   

One thing to note, the transmission is very light. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

anlauto

First question for our viewers...Does it require a different bell housing then the A833 ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FSHTAIL

Quote from: anlauto on September 11, 2021, 01:23:52 PM
First question for our viewers...Does it require a different bell housing then the A833 ?

Yes.   

Silver Star transmission machines their own custom aluminum Bell housing, but you can also use SFI rated ones that you can get from summit. 

Filthy Filbert

FSHTAIL

$380.95 at the time of purchase. 

FSHTAIL

Weight difference

A833 vs Tremec TKX

FSHTAIL

Decided to take the engine out because the rear main seal was leaking. 
I'm going to slap some fresh hydraulic lifters in there, fresh oil pump, and gives the engine a little detailing.

The previous owners got a little excited with some snapper green. 😂🤣

anlauto

That's what they call the "snowball effect" I'm pretty sure :brainiac:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

HP2

That weight difference is amazing.  There are guys out there that would kill for a 50# weight reduction. That is very nice!

Disappointed to hear they require a new bell housing. That's a downer but not a deal breaker, in my book.

Brads70

Ebody Edgar

I am admirable of your quest for a 5 speed
What i and many others whom require 100% are wondering...
Will the centerline of the new aftermarket trans tailshaft be in the same geometric location as the stock transmission. If it is - as it should- the transplant is legitimate. If it is not - back to square one and misrepresentation of a product. I bought popcorn and i hope all turns out well.   

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: Ebody Edgar on September 13, 2021, 10:32:37 AM
If it is not - back to square one and misrepresentation of a product.

Just curious, why would you have such an opinion?    What exactly is the misrepresentation? 

anlauto

Chris, this thread inspired me to order the new TKX set-up for my own resto-mod Cuda convertible I'm building, Jeff at SST said I have about a 90 day wait...which is okay for me....Order my 392 crate motor today as well :banana:

Fern

Quote from: anlauto on September 13, 2021, 11:23:19 AM
Chris, this thread inspired me to order the new TKX set-up for my own resto-mod Cuda convertible I'm building, Jeff at SST said I have about a 90 day wait...which is okay for me....Order my 392 crate motor today as well :banana:

If you dont mind, where did you order the crate motor from?

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Ebody Edgar on September 13, 2021, 10:32:37 AM
Will the centerline of the new aftermarket trans tailshaft be in the same geometric location as the stock transmission. If it is - as it should- the transplant is legitimate. If it is not - back to square one and misrepresentation of a product.

What do you mean with misrepresented?
How was this transmission represented as?

Can you elaborate on this a bit further?
I'm not sure the point you're trying to make.