Main Menu

Fuel line too flat ?

Started by Racer57, June 15, 2022, 08:44:42 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Holley 750 dual pump

After sitting for week or more, I need to pump it 4 times, then 1/3 open and it starts. Once it has fired, just barely crack the throttle to start and its like for for a few days. Hot or cold.  Any chance my fuel line is too flat and needs to go up some to prevent siphoning ?

Chryco Psycho

Nope more like evaporation , todays fuels are nothing like 50 years ago .
The new cars all have EFI / sealed & pressurize fuel systems will not evaporate , carbs will .

headejm

It would help if you could use ethanol free fuel. Difficult to find but will reduce the fuel evaporation issue you might be having. You could check Pure-gas.org for gas stations in your area.

Huskidrive

I have a 1970 383....same procedure here....

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!

gygeneral

My 440 is the same, if its sits for a week or more good luck, I just gave up and pour fuel in the carb vent hole, starts right away

57Fury440

I use a flow through electric fuel pump that I mounted in the back near the tank. After it sits for a while, I just turn on the pump to get the gas to the carb. Once I do that it starts right up, and I turn off the electric pump. I mounted a toggle switch below the dash that has power when the key is on. Pouring gas down the carb to start it was a pain.

Racer57

I have a Shaker, so pouring fuel down carb is out.

Electric pump sounds like a good idea. I assume it would require being placed between mechanical pump and fuel tank ? Any chance of getting too powerful of pump and it overrides floats ?

Chryco Psycho

It should push through the fuel pump so it could be rear mounted anything 6 psi or less will not open the floats .