Main Menu

Fuel Tank Recomendation for 73 Cuda

Started by gzig5, April 02, 2018, 03:56:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

Hi guys.  Just getting started on my new to me 73 Cuda 340.  It's been sitting for a long time and the fuel was full of rust, carb totally clogged.  Pretty sure the tank is in poor condition.  I know that they can be cleaned but I think on this I might go with a reproduction.  Mainly looking for what NOT to get.  Seems that there are about a half dozen suppliers with prices from $150 and up.  I'd appreciate any recommendations or info.  Would really like to keep it on the lower end and not freak out my budget at this early stage.  I'm just trying to get the car on the road safely and reliably for the next couple years and work on it bit by bit.  When I retire I plan on doing a full blown restoration.  Right now it is running off a 20oz soda bottle zip tied to the fender well.  :ohyeah:

IRON MAN

My neighbor installed a "Tanks, Inc" fuel tank in his '71 Challenger and is very happy with the tank.

ToxicWolf

Quote from: IRON MAN on April 02, 2018, 04:04:05 PM
My neighbor installed a "Tanks, Inc" fuel tank in his '71 Challenger and is very happy with the tank.

Me too.  Very happy with it.  :wave:

Brads70

Spectra is a good brand.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/plymouth,1973,barracuda,5.9l+360cid+v8,1499531,fuel+&+air,fuel+tank,6268

If your at all considering FI in the future... Have a look at Tanks Inc.
http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=477/category_id=68/mode=prod/prd477.htm

I have the Tanks Inc in my car with a carb.... someday I'll make the jump to Fuel injection... :bigmoney:

gzig5

Great.  Maybe FI in the future but it will be a while.  I'd really like to do some autocross type events or even get it out on Road America and I think FI could be an advantage there.  And I must admit, I've gotten spoiled by the modern technology over the years.  If I win the lottery maybe one of those six-pack FI setups and there would be enough left over for another proper tank.....

anlauto

RockAuto or Roseville Moparts both offer member discounts and carry the best quality tanks :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Spectra, they're good quality and relatively cheap. Replace the fuel lines too. This new gas makes a mess of things.
Sheldon

Katfish

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 02, 2018, 05:18:22 PM
Spectra, they're good quality and relatively cheap. Replace the fuel lines too. This new gas makes a mess of things.

Agreed, and Spectra has a fuel injection tank also.
I got mine from RockAuto when I install my FiTech fuel injection system.

RUNCHARGER

Cleaning the carb probably should be your first chore. If it is finished and you would consider buying a new one I would go directly to injection, and that will affect all your plans. I am a big fan of the new entry level injection systems.
Sheldon

gzig5

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 02, 2018, 06:37:45 PM
Cleaning the carb probably should be your first chore. If it is finished and you would consider buying a new one I would go directly to injection, and that will affect all your plans. I am a big fan of the new entry level injection systems.

That is the first priority.  The carb that was on the car when I made the offer was completely gunked up and along with a damaged fuel pump, it wouldn't run.  To his credit the PO threw in a Holley 4150 650 CFM double pumper that he had.  I got the car to idle today with that carb but it is leaking like a sieve so it needs an overhaul.  FI is not in the budget near term, as I was just now reminded by SWMBO.  I'm not real good with budgets.  I understand their purpose but that doesn't mean that I accept it.  Looks like the purse strings will be tight for this first year and limited to getting it to run reliably and making it usable.

RUNCHARGER

Hopefully gaskets and carb cleaner will get it up to snuff.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Start with Dave @ Roseville , he may be able to get a discount on the Tanks products too