Main Menu

GASKET / SEAL RECOMMENDATIONS? VIDEO TESTING TESTING

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, June 05, 2018, 02:07:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

Tube seals came in from Summit.... really quick ship. Had no idea you go the freezer route with these. I've done it on axles/bearings before so that should be easy. But I expected the RTV route like in Cody's pic  :notsure:

Topcat

When I installed mine, it said to use one of the Locktite products to keep them in.

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: Topcat on June 21, 2018, 06:43:06 AM
When I installed mine, it said to use one of the Locktite products to keep them in.

It does look like there is a paper underneath them, maybe some install info?? I have not opened the package yet....

RUNCHARGER

No sealer needed, they have an O-ring that seals to the head. Just set them straight and carefully whack them in, use a chunk of wood to distribute the force of the hammer. I have a set I'll have to sell when I find them.
Sheldon

BIGSHCLUNK

I was going to install w a seal driver

Topcat

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 21, 2018, 08:19:03 AM
No sealer needed, they have an O-ring that seals to the head. Just set them straight and carefully whack them in, use a chunk of wood to distribute the force of the hammer. I have a set I'll have to sell when I find them.

It was from the instructions from a vendor doing Hemi stuff years ago out of Florida.
I don't recall his website or name.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Topcat on June 21, 2018, 06:52:16 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 21, 2018, 08:19:03 AM

It was from the instructions from a vendor doing Hemi stuff years ago out of Florida.
I don't recall his website or name.

Sounds like Dan from Performance Only....

RUNCHARGER

Actually: Now that I think about it, the one time I ran those dang things they were on an engine I bought or something like that. When I would pull the plug tubes, sometimes those stupid things would come out with the plug tube. So yes a bit of something on them probably is a good idea. The O-ring seals the tube seal to the spark plug tubes not to the head.
Sheldon

61K T/A

If your not sure where the leak is coming from you might want to try an engine oil dye and black light.  :alan2cents:

BIGSHCLUNK

Ok, I thought let's get those old VC gaskets off (last night). Of course nothing stuck to my covers (chrome). But stayed on the heads. Lt side came off in 1 piece! Slicker than snake snot!  So prolly goes without saying..... Rt side (car up against the garage wall) ......  :bricks:  :pullinghair: After about an hour I got 80% of it off. The rear of the head does not like me.  :headbang: But then if I could reach it, it just may be easier.....    :soshelp:

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: Yep, if you could have slid a knife under there you would have had it off in 3 seconds.
Sheldon

BIGSHCLUNK

Here's the left side..... was soooooo easy.... I plugged all those holes for nuthin' . Maybe Sunday I'll have time to finish the right

BIGSHCLUNK

So I did some work tonite... got the rest of the Rt VC gasket off. After a while I come back in the hous and the wife starts rankin' on me about not taking the rest of my parts out in the garage....

I'm like what are talking about. She says the silver things (tube seals). I tell her I didnt do it cause I'm not that far into it yet. And when I'm ready I need to put  them in the freezer.   

She wasnt buyin' any of that..... we exchanged a few words. Still not buyin' it. So I walked her out to the kitchen.....   :haha:  :haha:  :haha:

MILODON saved me!  :bradsthumb:

RUNCHARGER

Ha: Yes my wife knows to just put up with stuff now.
Sheldon

BIGSHCLUNK

I just had one of those "thoughts"

Figures I would install the tube seals today.... they have been in the freezer for 3 days. So I'm thinking get out the seal driver and in they go. As they thaw they will expand a little. done it with bearings on axles works great.