Main Menu

Gear Oil Weight Thoughts

Started by drew43a, August 19, 2020, 07:10:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

drew43a

I just got my new Differential from Dr Diff and he recommends 85 140 weight  gear oil. the 140 seems high to me. Isn't 85 and 140 the winter summer weight numbers? Could you not go summer lower weight depending on where you live?  I have even heard some people use transmission fluid.  any thoughts on all this?

Chryco Psycho

I have always used 80-90w non synthetic

docmel

I get what you are saying, but its new, Dr Dif, they made it, etc.......................I'd go with what Dr Dif recommends  ANd I would never use Auto tranny fluid in a rear end

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 19, 2020, 07:15:05 AM

Yup....I just bought some yesterday for the 71 Cuda I'm doing right now. I buy sure grip additive also from my local Chrysler dealership too.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

Quote from: drew43a on August 19, 2020, 07:10:08 AM
I just got my new Differential from Dr Diff and he recommends 85 140 weight  gear oil. the 140 seems high to me. Isn't 85 and 140 the winter summer weight numbers? Could you not go summer lower weight depending on where you live?  I have even heard some people use transmission fluid.  any thoughts on all this?

You just spent a good chunk of change with Dr. Diff so I would follow their recommendation. You bought from them for a reason - they know what they are doing.  :alan2cents:

dodj

Quote from: headejm on August 19, 2020, 10:24:50 AM
You just spent a good chunk of change with Dr. Diff so I would follow their recommendation. You bought from them for a reason - they know what they are doing.  :alan2cents:
I would follow the doctors orders...

The numbers are the cold and hot viscous numbers. They do not have any relationship to motor oil numbers.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

nsmall

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 19, 2020, 07:15:05 AM

That's what I was recommended by doctor diff along with the Ford additive versus the Mopar.  He has on his website exactly what to buy.